Monday, May 04, 2009

Of All The Nerve

I got an e-mail today from Ashley, my insurance agent wanting to know who was in charge of my properties. My insurance company apparently is "questioning" how responsible I was with my homes, why I am out of state and how my tenants are screened.

Because I have so many properties, my homes are insured under two different companies. What really got me in a snit was the company "questioning" this was not the company I recently submitted claims with. Instead, it was Alpha Boss's company--whom I have had no dealings with in about six months.

In the event you hadn't heard of Alpha Boss, he is the most patronizing pile of garbage I have ever met. He has a minion, Alpha Adjuster, who only works on Tuesdays and is the second biggest pile I ever met. Alpha Boss even had the nerve last year to suggest I was lying and manufactured the claim I submitted.

Not only is there no reason why Alpha Boss should be asking anything about the claims I put in and who is "managing" these homes, but nobody should. Additionally, I have no idea why on earth anyone should question how I screen my tenants.

Even being close by, I could not have stopped a strong wind from blowing off roof tiles. Nor could I have stopped whomever it was who cut the water pipe under the house in Leeds. It has nothing to do with criminal background. Stuff happens. April was my "stuff happens" month.

In the case of the claims I put in for last month, I rescinded them, once I found out how small they were. The insurance company was not out any money. And, it wasn't even Alpha Boss's properties.

I sent a scathing note to Ashley, outlining what I thought of the unprofessionalism of Alpha Boss and asking why he was involved with these claims in the first place.

However, in any event, how I choose my tenants should be immaterial to an insurance policy. I am not the only out of state landlord managing properties. And, given the number of years I have been doing this, the number of claims I have submitted (one) and the number of homes I have this should not even be topic for discussion.

Tomorrow's task: find a new insurance agent and new insurance companies.

2 comments:

Ernie said...

I hate to break it to you but you are now indexed. That is the reason he was asking those questions. Even though you rescinded your claims, they were entered into the index anyway. It's SOP. Sorry. Welcome to the real world. The world where even if your credit is good, you are still entered into a national database where large corporations can follow your every little move in order to raise your rates. Or cancel you altogether.

Fiona D. said...

Indexed or not. Neither claim was with his company. Nor does he need to know how I screen my tenants or any personal information about my tenants.