Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Cost of A Quick Phone Call

For the past week, I have kept up the chore of cleaning up the bits of cerebellum left over from my daily head explosion. This is directly due to the pending real estate transaction I am working on. Actually it can be completely attributed to the loan officer and his inability to call or e-mail once a day, keeping us apprised.

Isn't it amazing the number of times in our lives a simple phone call can make or break a relationship? I have a tenant who is on a widow's pension and social security. She is never late until this month. Because this is so unusual, last week I called her. Last week I also e-mailed her. She didn't contact me back. Instead she ignored me, probably putting her head in the sand, knowing what I was looking for.

After not hearing anything from her, Carolsue volunteered to call her before she went out there and handed her a lease termination notice. Apparently Carolsue's method worked. My tenant e-mailed me.

Her note was simple. Oops, something happened this month and here is how she is planning on making good.

It isn't that I wouldn't have worked with her had she told me this upfront. I would have been happy to oblige. I understand her situation. She has a steady income that will not be going away any time soon. She also doesn't have the money to move, so she and I are stuck for the time being. Theoretically, she is motivated to make this right. Given her background, I suspect I will see the money.

By not telling me when her situation changed and making me hunt her down is downright insulting. By the way, I did write her back. I let her know that I will work with those who keep an open lines of communication. And, it was a good thing I heard from her when I did, because I was about to have her evicted, which would have been an additional cost to her.

I am not sure she completely grasps what intrinsic damage she has caused. She has changed this relationship. By not contacting me immediately, she set herself up for no future favors. I won't consider going to any extra effort for minor repairs. Don't ask me for a reference to the local Rent-To-Own shop. And, don't expect I will be so gracious next time. And, all it would have taken was a quick phone call from her a couple of weeks ago.

2 comments:

BusyMommy said...

It seems with all the technology available to people you would hear from them more, not less.

Lori said...

people hate to face this kind of confrontation. they freeze up.