Friday, May 22, 2009

My Crystal Ball

I am writing this right after getting back from my real estate client/neighbor's home. She is buying a home, leaving our quiet little patch of Mesa--if the transaction actually goes through. Which is debatable right now. I brought her over a bottle of wine to go with the bad news she needed to swallow. She was gracious enough to share.

My wine-induced relaxation is a nice by-product of a very stressful week which had very little to do with Alabama. Actually, a lot happened in Alabama this week. For the most part, I just ignored it.

Ok, not completely true. Because I have been so preoccupied with my real estate job, I just dusted off my crystal ball and figured out what would need my immediate attention next week. This was a useful bit of foreshadowing, as it will save me from lots of stress next week. Instead, I am dealing with next week's premeditated Alabama insanity this week.

For example, Carolsue got the call to serve one of my tenants. Her rent is late. After a phone call and an e-mail, I had no response, so she can serve away on Monday. I already sent Carolsue the notice. Oddly enough, I told Carolsue all this woman had to was call me back. Given the week I have had, I probably would have worked with her.

Additionally, I sent Legal Eagle Mr. Richard's file for her to work her magic. Yes really. When Mr. Richard's check didn't come this week, I left him a message telling me the only thing I would accept in his next voice mail would be him giving me the check number from his missing rent payment. I haven't heard back. I still might. It isn't hope and it isn't the crystal ball speaking here. Just a voice of experience. Legal Eagle will have him served on Tuesday. No, Wednesday. No Thursday...

I have the two homes Marty and I own together--with no other financial backing--coming vacant in a matter of days. If they don't come vacant, the way the tenants have declared they will, I will then have a bigger mess. But, I will cross that bridge when the wine wears off.

Knowing I have two homes coming vacant, I needed to make arrangements to have the utilities turned on. Normally I can do this from here, but if the tenants do not pay the utilities, it becomes more tricky. So, I needed to send Carolsue two powers of attorney to handle this. She will keep these safe until the moment comes that these properties are vacant.

Additionally, I am trying to set up a trip to Birmingham. Now that my real estate transaction is going into extra innings, I don't feel at liberty to leave as soon as I was hoping. Additionally, Marty Sunshine has a major deadline at work. Being the new guy, it isn't in his best interest to take time off work to watch the kids and/or ask for work from home favors only two months into his new assignment. So, I am coordinating a hypothetical trip at the moment. All the while, I am looking for hypothetical babysitting, as I don't have any actual dates. My crystal ball isn't that good.

2 comments:

BusyMommy said...

I sent you my sitters number again. Let me know when you need to leave and we will help you work something out.

Unknown said...

I will be more than happy to help out next week if you need me. Frankie's last day at school will be Tuesday.

You could bring the kids over, or I could pick 'em up, and keep them for the day... Frankie would love it.

Lemme know.