Friday, May 01, 2009

The Smell Test

Yesterday I posted about the water pipe being cut under Ms. Betty's house. I would like to go on record here: It smells funny.

I have a hard time believing this is random. Nothing is missing. Someone left the hacksaw behind. The cut is pretty far under the house. So, the pipe probably wasn't cut at night without any light available. Ms. Betty is very good friends with a retired woman who lives across the street. Nobody saw anything. Even if the neighbors don't like me--the landlord--that would be a lot of work. They have done other things to the home. This isn't their style. This would take too much work.

Something isn't right about the whole thing. Was there a disgruntled tenant who decided to come over, crawl UNDER the house with a hacksaw, cut the water line and then leave the hacksaw?

Was Mr. Smith seeking revenge? Certainly he would be right at home under the house with the rest of the rats (which are dead by the way). But, I can't see him doing it. Why seek revenge on that house. It was for sale for four months. He doesn't know if we even own it any more.

Is someone mad at Mr. and Mrs. Betty and decided to go to this much effort to mess with them? I don't think so. This doesn't affect them as much as it affects me.

My theory is this: Mr. and Ms. Betty aren't telling me the whole story. Perhaps Mr. Betty was under there doing something. Perhaps he accidentally messed with the pipes and when it got out of control, to save face, they called me and manufactured the story. Ms. Betty did not want to call the police. In fact, it was when I offered that she finally agreed. I am not calling them liars. But this just doesn't smell right.

5 comments:

Ernie said...

For once we agree! YEAH!! I 100% agree with your assessment. Mr. Betty was beneath the house probably trying to either run a new water line for an icemaker or trying to increase the water pressure to the house. Don't laugh, I actually had a husband (the REALLY pretty one) who honestly thought if we put larger water lines running to the house that we would have better water pressure. Good thing he was handsome because handy, he was not. Not that I'm saying Mr. Betty is pretty (God knows he is not pretty) BUT between the two of them they still don't have half a brain so they may well have thought the same thing my hubby thought. Stranger things have happened (in your rental houses, I might add). LOL

Ernie said...

Oh yeah, Mr. Smith is far too lazy to go to all the bother of crawling up under the house to cut a water line. IF he ventured that far from his recliner, he would just have set the house on fire. That requires less energy. Sad thing is, he's so inept that he probably would just have set his pant leg on fire. I'd pay admission to see that show!

Fiona D. said...

Author's Note: Once again, the opinions expressed by Carolsue or anyone else in the comment section of this blog are not the opinion of the author nor are condoned by the author. I'm just saying...

BusyMommy said...

I was just gonna say that you seemed to have nailed it, but I am laughing too hard at the comments...

Fiona D. said...

You know, I could see Mr. Smith accidently setting his pant leg on fire. Then saying, "It wasn't my fault..."