Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Entrepreneurial Spirit

A long while ago, I declared that the next business I would be starting in Birmingham would be a charm school for plumbers. This was after I went through four plumbers in 24 hours--all of whom displayed varying degrees of competence and no manners whatsoever. It isn't that I want someone to be super-nice to me, but I would like some basics: not to be barked at is pretty high on the list.

Currently

Me: Can you fix the broken pipe?
Plumber: (growling) Why? You think you can fix it? If you can do a better job Lady, you go right ahead.

After Charm School

Me: Can you fix the broken pipe?
Plumber: Yes Ma'am, that will be an exorbitant amount of money. Sign here please.

Before it took me several months to pay off the only decent plumber in Birmingham, I had forgotten about this business concept. Now that I am not certain I have a preferred plumber any more (and fortunately haven't had an occasion to find out), I am back to tinkering with the whole charm school thing.

There's a market for this. Trust me.

Additionally, I have also decided once I made my millions from plumbing charm school, I plan to start a process serving training company. I maintain that any process server who can correctly serve someone within a 48 hour period of time is good in my book. And, that is after lowering my standards.

Imagine if you will, the process server who actually served a deadbeat right away! Just think about how much business they could get? (ok, yes I know sometimes it is hard to catch the person being served... I get that).

Currently

Me: Have they been served yet?
Process Server: Who?

After Process Server Training

Me: Wow! You went to their work, immediately gave them a summons and had the rest of your day to live your life or get more work?
Process Server: Yes Ma'am (read that as: "Of course, time is valuable, and you--the customer--are paying me to do a very important job.")

I am thinking what I need to do is start some sort of educational designation for process servers--the way real estate agents get all sorts of initials after their names that nobody cares about.

Legal Eagle pointed out though, the problem is they aren't the move quickly types to begin with. They just aren't high-strung Type-A personalities. If they were, they wouldn't be process servers, they would be real estate agents.

4 comments:

Nancy Case said...

If you want Type A, get law school students.

BusyMommy said...

Then you could open up a charm school for Sprint employees!

Fiona D. said...

I don't do miracles. There's no hope for Sprint employees.

Happy Camper! said...

i love you