Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Mr. Richards

Well, I broke down and called Mr. Richards. Partially because he didn't follow is usually MO and call me immediately after being served. Because it was so odd, I just wanted to know what was up. But if the truth be told the other reason I called him was Mr. Partner and I currently have enough drama without another vacant home. Illegal activity moved up significantly over flaky tenants on the what-is driving-me-the-nuttiest now scale.

In the past when I have called Mr. Richards, I am very polite and business-like. Today I let him have it, in a crisp, seriously pissed off, business-like sort of way. I don't remember the word-for-word, but apparently my voice mail made a significant impact. It is truly amazing how fast he can remember to dial my number when he thinks he is going to have to pay legal fees and have his wages garnished.

Mr. Richards managed to call me in three minutes flat. The first words out of his mouth weren't a greeting but, "I really don't want to move, Mrs. Landlord." I can appreciate that. I would rather not deal with him moving either right now. I believe he means it too. One of the things I happen to know about Mr. Richards situation is he was granted custody of his son a few years ago. It is very important to him that Junior have a stable home. The real trick is if Mr. Richards can do what it takes to keep that stable home.

Today's excuse consisted of someone dying and Mr. Richards offering to fax over the death certificate obituary and anything else that might prove he has been out of town for a few weeks taking care of the untimely passing of his relative. I actually believe him--not that I told him that. He never leaves his grass long and according to my sources, it had been looking a bit shaggy. Additionally, his termination notice was on his door for a few days.

Again Mr. Richards gave me a payment plan, with money going out today. I should have it by Thursday--which coincidentally is the day Legal Eagle is planning on springing into action on her part and starting the eviction.

There are two things I stressed to Mr. Richards: I told him if he deviated from his payment--even one day--we were through. And, if he sends me one more payment with a signature required, making me stand in line at the post office for an hour, we were through with no turning back. He would no longer hear from me. The next person he talked to would be Legal Eagle.

Mr. Richards is a flake. But he has proven in the past to be a flake of his word. Right now I can live with that. At least until Thursday.

4 comments:

BusyMommy said...

Good Luck!

Ernie said...

I TOLD YOU SOMEONE DIED AND HE WAS OUT OF TOWN! Can I get a "you're right"??

Fiona D. said...

But of course! You were right.

Ernie said...

AWWWWW.....that was better than sipping a margarita poolside with a beautiful cabana boy fanning the heat away. (well, not really - but damned close!)