Saturday, May 09, 2009

Heart Breaking

One of my long time program mortgagees is in failing health. She is in her 60s and is no longer able to work. She lost her job a year ago and is trying like anything to get disability. I have never personally met her, with the few times I put in an overture years earlier, she dismissd me. The funny thing is, for the past year she has been telling me to please call her when I am in town so we can meet.

Mrs. C. called me last October in dire need of assistance. She had been paying me out of her savings and now the money was gone. She couldn't afford her COBRA payment and the mortgage payment at the same time. She assured me it would be just a few months before disability came through. Is there something that could be done?

Mr. Partner, Marty Sunshine and I discussed this at length. If you recall, last October we were at the worst time in our company's history. We had two vacant homes and a Mr. Smith. We were not in a position to help.

However, Mr. Partner didn't blink when I brought up her situation. Our plan was that we would forgo the cash flow for additional money when her loan came due next year. Even if she didn't perform, the house had enough equity that the risk could be mitigated.

But, that isn't the reason we helped her. Mr. Partner simply said, "We help people. That is why we started this company." We have been allowing Mrs. C. to pay a significantly reduced payment ever since.

This past week I wrote a letter to her Social Security attorney, in hopes of expediting her disability. The theory is, if I can help her establish hardship the Federal Government might move faster. After all, the medical professionals agree she has an issue. It is just some clerk who needs to put their stamp of approval on her file.

The letter I wrote made me cry. I hated writing the words that solidified the realities she and I are facing. I wrote, "We understand this is an unfortunate situation. However it has become a financial burden we are unable to take on any longer. Per the terms of our agreement if Mrs. C. does not perform we will be forced to begin foreclosure proceedings."

Mrs. C. has never caused me any problems. Even though I wrote the letter, for now, as long as we possibly can, we will continue carrying Mrs. C. But she even said, "I know you can't do much else and I know you can't do this much longer. Thank you for your help."

2 comments:

Ernie said...

I LOATHE our system as it now stands. Did you know that if your child (who doesn't work) is autistic or has attention deficit they can get a disability check within 90 days of diagnosis?? Your child who doesn't work and contribute to the household. Your child who has no bills to pay or mouths to feed. Yet when an adult who has worked their entire lives (usually) has documented health issues files a claim, they have to wait years before they get their disability check (if ever). It makes me furious! I have always felt that SSA makes you wait so long in the hopes that you will die before you get the check started saving them tons of money. Maybe that feeling comes from having a legal background. God knows I've had enough clients who very nearly died before the check came and one who actually did die and the check came in the mail while we were all at his funeral. When we came back to the house after the funeral, there it was in the mailbox. A little "going away" present from your Uncle Sam.

BusyMommy said...

I added Mrs. C to our prayer list.