Sunday, May 30, 2010

My Standards Are Not That High

I seriously did not think this house would be so difficult to rent. And, it seems the biggest problem is I am fussy.

I don't want tenants who lie to me about their pets (the yard is unfenced--which gives me a liability). I don't tenants who chew me out before I even consider approving them. I don't want tenants who ask to move in, but don't want to put down a deposit or pay the first month's rent on time.

I have started wondering, do we living in a world where these types of behaviors are so commonplace that I am shooting for the stars? My friends don't act this way. I don't treat virtual strangers this way. Am I holding tenants to a higher, unattainable standard? I really didn't think so two weeks ago.

What I really want is someone who will stay for at least the duration of their lease, but ideally a few years. I want them to be kind to the house. I want them to enjoy the home, yard and pond. I want someone I can get along with. Generally I can get along with--or at least tolerate--just about anyone.

I realize lately my mind was preoccupied the last two weeks. But, I am back now. Crisis averted with a clean bill of health. And I still don't like these folks enough to swallow my pride, explain I wasn't in my right mind, and call them for a second chance.

It isn't the credit score that is holding me back, it is their character. Heaven knows I have approved people with terrible credit and decent character before. I have approved people with great credit and crummy character as well. The latter has given me ulcers. Credit doesn't create character. It can be a byproduct of character, but there are legitimate reasons why people's credit falters.

Carolsue told Tommy on Friday I would not rent to him. When he started getting upset with her she said, "Here's a tip, if you want a landlord to hand over keys to her home, perhaps you shouldn't tell her off. Twice."

Is that really too much to ask?

1 comment:

Lori said...

it's not too much to ask!

and yay for your clean bill of health! :D