Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A List of Good Things

There are those who have encouraged me to write a landlord book. I have an outline written and have dabbled with a chapter or two. But, haven't really done much since. Part of what I wonder, every time I take a bit of time to work on it, is am I writing an informative how-to book or a horror novel.

I mentioned a week ago how I don't really touch much on the really cool stuff that happens to me on a regular basis, because it doesn't really make for fun reading. But it happens. I sometimes forget about the good stuff as well. It is easier to remember the big ugly events than the sweet little things that don't mean much, but do add up.

This past week has been tough for me for reasons that don't have anything to do with Alabama. In fact, my accidental business has been a major afterthought, as I handle some of life's distractions. Though it still has needed a certain amount of attention, it is fair to say I have been phoning it in. In order to improve my mindset, I opted to write a list of good things related to my accidental business. Here it is.

  • My bills are paid. There may not be any money left over at the end of the day, but commerce doesn't stand still. Everyone gets their money.

  • I have received two applications on my Pinson home. I haven't picked one yet. I am hoping for at least one more. But if not. I am confident the two applications I have received seem to be solid.

  • It appears the home Jack and I own has been rented to a guy who doesn't have credit issues, a criminal background and no pets. In fact his credit score is pretty darn good.

  • Out of the blue, I got a really cool note from a former tenant yesterday thanking me for being a great landlord when he and his family rented from me. Not only would I not know my former landlord's name, I never would have thought enough of anyone I have ever rented from to thank them.

  • I got a 150 year old, 50 foot oak tree cut down for $1,800. In the event you aren't aware of what a blessing this is, I invite you to call around and see what it costs to remove one. I am still blown away. I am beyond grateful.

  • I have Kirby and Carolsue. And though I have done the managing without them for many years prior to this, I am grateful to have them. I feel spoiled.

  • I have business partners who are more or less in sync with the goals Marty Sunshine and I have. I didn't always have partners who were on the same wavelength. In fact, both of my partners are great landlords themselves and I have learned tons from them.

  • When I talked to Legal Eagle a few weeks ago, she said, "Anything you need. I got your back." I believe she means it. She wasn't just speaking as a lawyer. I feel that way about the business relationships I have developed--everyone from Clay the AC guy to James the Hell's Angel Turned Carpet Installer.

  • The 80/20 rule applies for my accidental business. Twenty percent of my homes cause 80 percent of my headaches. I promise Home Jeanne. It isn't that bad.

  • I am finding I am not upside down on most of my homes. Yes, there are one or two. But for the most part, I am even or have slight equity position. Psychologically, this is motivating. It makes a difference.

  • I feel an overwhelming sense of peace lately in what I am doing. Two summers ago tested my good nature. Last summer tested my resolve. We have worked hard to fix our glitches. Through patience (and a great deal of financial strife) we got rid of our bad tenants. Those tenants going taught me big lessons. Now we have a plan in place to fix our under-capitalized issues.

  • I often think stock certificates wouldn't be this exciting. My life would be calmer. But, it wouldn't be emotionally richer. I have enjoyed writing this blog. I am tickled I have a handful of friends and readers, some who have provided me with feedback and taken the time to share their ideas and opinions. Even if you don't comment, thank you all for coming and joining me on my journey.

1 comment:

Joy N. said...

I reeeeally like this post and your list of thanksgivings. It takes me back to where you were 2 years ago, last summer... and I see God's faithfulness to you! Praise Him that you are still my neighbor. ;)