Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Landlord Story

May has come in like a lion. I'm crossing my fingers it will go out like a lamb. In the mean time, I haven't had time to write about the fun landlord story about my friends.

This couple have a treasured home they have moved out of when Mr. Landlord was deployed to Arkansas. I have been helping them when necessary, answering questions and the like. They weren't intending to be landlords, and Mrs. Landlord has mentioned more than once they would rather be living in their lovely home than having strangers babysit it. To make matters worse, I recently told them about my blog, which prompted them to sleep with every light in the house on.

My friends have been away a few years now, and have gone through a fair share of renters. Their latest seems to feel entitled to just about everything, including expecting the new flooring. Yes really. They want the landlord to take up the carpet and replace it for laminate wood. When I saw this carpet 18 months ago, I don't recall it being in bad shape. And, if it really-really needs to be replaced now, it isn't from the basic wear and tear. But the real point is, when one rents a home, they get what they get. It isn't the landlord's job to arbitrarily change the flooring because the neutral carpet doesn't match their couch.

The tenants also have taken issue with some of the clauses in the landlord's lease. They had the opportunity to read the lease before they signed. Now that things aren't working out the way they want, they are complaining. It seems to me these things should be negotiated before they are signed, but that's just me.

The tenants' lease is up the end of May. According to the terms the lease, the tenant was required to give a 30 day notice to move or re-sign. The tenant wasn't talking. Mr. Landlord repeatedly asked their tenant were they planning on renewing or moving?

Finally the tenant sent a rude note to the landlord stating he would sign a new 12 month lease as long as it was month-to-month and they got rid of some of the "BS lease clauses" Except he didn't say "BS".

Just so we are clear here, there is no "month-to-month 12 month lease". Month to month, means you are paying as you go. Think hotel room.

I was so proud of Mr. and Mrs. Landlord. They told the tenants they were to move in 30 days. No if, ands or buts. Good bye. Thanks for the memories. The tenant could play by the landlord's rules or move. Plain and simple.

The next day the tenant changed his tune, agreed to sign a lease and promptly went to the local home improvement store and bought new blinds for the kitchen of the home he is renting.

I can guess what happened: Mrs. Tenant got involved.

I figure she told Mr. Tenant after his rude e-mail to the landlord, "Oh no you didn't! Suck it up, kiss and play nice. I am not moving. Not in June in Arizona."

I am guessing she said a few other things, because she got new blinds too. And the tenant signed the lease--with all the Landlord's clauses still intact.

1 comment:

Home Genie said...

Hmmm...this all sounds strangely familiar. :)
I really am very grateful for the experience and knowledge you share and help you give when needed.
And yes, your blog scares me....bad!