Sunday, May 23, 2010

Eeney, Meany, Miney, Moe

Here's the truth. I don't like any of my choices for my Pinson house. I don't dislike them either. I haven't run credit or read too deeply into their applications. But, I have had some levels of personal interaction with each party. Sadly I need to make a decision pretty quickly, as I have a mortgage payment due. At this point, I am ready set up a cork board and start throwing darts.

Tenant 1, Mrs. Brady.

She sent her application first. She filled everything out. She sent me pay stubs. The Brady family has jobs that are not affected by a weak economy. Last week, I divulged to her I was having a medical procedure and would not be available for a day or so. Therefore, I would get back to her by the end of the week. She in turn sent me an e-card full of Bible verses. She signed it, "The Brady Family." It took me two days to figure out who the Brady family was.

And though I appreciate the sentiment, she had no idea if I was having open heart surgery or a root canal. I am confident in my faith, however I don't find it to be an appropriate topic of conversation with perfect strangers. (I know, I know. This is the South. They do find it to be an appropriate topic of conversation under every circumstance).

But most importantly, I have never had a good experience with tenants who make such grand overtures early on. Essentially, she isn't looking at this like the business relationship. I am. If rent is late one month, I am guessing she will think we are friends and it is ok. It isn't. I don't like this level of familiarity. It is a huge red flag.

Red flag number two was that she told Carolsue last week she has a dog, but wouldn't discuss it. When Carolsue pressed her, she would evade the question. When I asked, Mrs. Brady told me she doesn't have a dog. She is only thinking of getting one.

Tenant 2, Tammy and Tommy

Tommy called me last Monday and I could barely understand him with his thick drawl (twice in one week). I finally gleamed he and his very clean fiancee, Tammy, wanted to see the Pinson home. So, I sent him to Carolsue.

Carolsue in turn spoke with Tammy. Tammy sent in an application--the home sight unseen. She was even willing to move in this weekend without seeing the interior. However, she did not send me over pay stubs or photo identification. I need the IDs to run background checks. For three days, Carolsue has been telling Tammy to finish getting me the necessary data. Somehow this seems more difficult than one would expect.

Tammy and Tommy have one dog and jobs that are adveresly affected by a poor economy.

Red flags: they can't follow directions and I will not be able to talk to Tommy. Thier jobs.

Tenant 3, Kerry

I have been talking to Kerry for more than week. She was originally my favorite of the three. Kerry and Mr. Kerry need to move next week because their landlord defaulted and the trustee has given them until June 1. They have no pets and jobs that are recession proof.

However, last week she told me she had left messages for Carolsue. Carolsue said she didn't. Mind you, Kerry had called, but never managed to speak with Carolsue's answering machine.

Additionally, Kerry didn't get around to turning in her application until yesterday. And when I got it, I found, she couldn't be bothered to include a few basics: like her current address. Additionally, she put her mother-in-law down as a reference, but only gave me the woman's street number--no city, state and phone number. She sent me her husband's pay stub and forgot to send one for herself.

I am pretty sure she was in a hurry when she sent the application. But it isn't like she didn't have the application for a week. What would an extra 15 minutes to review the vitals have hurt?

Red flag: Doesn't own a calendar and can't follow directions.

My choice was simple. Carolsue will hold it open once again and I will cross my fingers and toes for a better pool of tenants.

3 comments:

Ernie said...

You hit the nail on the head! ONLY in the deep south do they think it completely appropriate to discuss Jesus in EVERY conversation. Example (true one): I was sitting in a JOB interview. Within 2 minutes the manager looked at me and asked me if I was a Christian and what church I belonged to. Down here if you get a persons' answering machine you can rest assured at the end of it they will say "Have a blessed day!" Even the hookers over on 1st tell you that Jesus is great. Gives you a kinda Children of the Corn feeling.

Unknown said...

With regards to Mrs. Brady:

I probably wouldn't hold the bible verse filled card against her, but her honesty does seem in question with the I have a dog, no I meant I'm thinking of getting a dog comments. Unfortunately, she still sounds better than the other two. Good luck finding more choices at the next open house.

Fiona D. said...

I don't mind the Bible comments. I mind the level of familiarity. Generally those who work hard for me to like them, tend to cause me lots of grief later on.

Ms. Betty once said to me when I told her pay the rent or move, "you of all people should understand."

I don't know why she thought me of all people. But, I find this to be a constant pattern of those who work hard initially to make me like them. They expect a favor down the road.