Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kerry Off and Tommy Rot

Wednesday afternoon, Kerry called me. She said her husband gets paid Friday and she wasn't sure how much money they would have for the security deposit, not to mention the entire rent. What should she do?

In the event you missed the subtext, Kerry said:

Her husband who has had the same job for 20 years would be receiving his paycheck on Friday. Even though he has a regular pay check, she refused to commit to giving me a specific amount of money for a security deposit. Additionally, even though she would have normally been paying rent on June 1 to her deadbeat landlord, she apparently didn't have that money either. So, would I let her move in for free?

The only reason I told her I would pass this along to my business partner and see what he wanted to do about it, is that I thought it would hurt my Karma if I called liar right then and there. Of course, I was counting Kerry's rent for June's mortgage, so I was terribly disappointed. But more than that, I wasn't ready for a year of Kerry-drama and would rather pass on this potential train-wreck than be strung along any longer by this clown.

What I did do as call Tommy and Tammy. (Earlier in the week, I ran Ms. Brady's background/credit and decided I would be better off with the home vacant than Ms. Brady) When I called, I explained to Tommy that I hadn't made a decision just yet on who would be renting my home, but was wondering--if I did approve them--when they would want to move in?

Completely ignoring my question, Tommy proceeded to take up where he left off on Sunday. The yard was a mess and the house was filthy. Or, so he heard. He hadn't personally seen it. But he would like to. He was planning on driving over there and taking a look himself and he would let me know how much I would have to take off the first month's rent to make it worthwhile. I bit my tongue and wished him well.

Thirty minutes later, Tommy called again with the conciliatory tone I had heard Sunday afternoon. "I owe you an apology. I see the yard is mowed," He said.

"Yes, I had the lawn taken care of yesterday. However, you didn't really give me a chance to tell you that when I called you earlier." I replied. Frankly, that was a lot nicer than what I wanted to say. I ask you, my five readers, do you call perfect strangers when you want a favor and bully them?

It is true: I would rather have a vacant home at this juncture than rent to either Tommy or Kerry. But I am not worried. I have two others who have expressed an interest in the home. I may not have a renter by June 1, but I will have a renter--the right renter--soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people are just too weird for words.

Lori said...

truly, the mind boggles.