Monday, May 10, 2010

A Boring Blog

I think it is fair to say, good stuff in Alabama happens with wonderful regularity. It is small items like a care package on Saturday of generic Alabama legal forms from Jack, who thought I might find some future value with them. Or, a text from Legal Eagle last Tuesday at 8:30 at night my time to tell me she heard a news story that might interest me.

Good stuff feeds my soul. If I lived solely surrounded about what I write, I would be a mess. Good stuff tends to be very personal. It isn't dramatic. It is intrinsic. It gives me purpose, reminding me to focus on my blessings when I am staring at obstacles. Good stuff can take up three minutes of my day, yet it will resonate for months.

And, let's face it, it makes for extremely dull blog fodder.

Last week I talked to Matt, the investment-mortgage-guy-briefly-turned-handyman. He called to tell me he was outraged over Mrs. C's behavior. He wanted to personally apologize for keeping this secret from me. It turns out he knew they were buying a home because the C's went to him--of all people--for their loan. When Matt asked, he was told by the C's he wasn't to discuss this with me.

Of course, if I had known the C's were moving out, I couldn't have done much about it. Except maybe budget accordingly. That alone would have been huge. For example, I would have waited longer to have Bob the Tree Guy do his magic, ensuring I wouldn't have to scrape together the mortgage payment. What a difference that would have made with just a couple of weeks' notice.

There are confidentiality laws to protect the Cs. Matt knew this. So, he called Attorney Jon, our mutual wonderful guy, and asked what loopholes were available so I could be informed about the C's crummy behavior. I am told Attorney Jon actually looked into this and, in his ultra-legal opinion, was disgusted because there wasn't anything that could be done to alert me short of charades or psychic vibes. The C's were legally entitled to privacy.

Matt did tell me he charged them a considerable amount for the loan, even making money on the front end in fees and the back end of the interest rate. That made me feel better. It also made me feel good to reaffirm what I guessed all along: Matt and Jon are men of their word. That is also huge.

Knowing Matt and Attorney Jon went to any trouble to prevent me financial hardship may be boring to read about. But, it tells me volumes about the kind of people I have on my side.

2 comments:

Ernie said...

I have never met Matt but I have met Attorney Jon and he is indeed a very fine and upstanding man (in my opinion). It speaks volumes for you that you have been able to find, foster and continue relationships with such credible and character rich vendors. You know the old saying, "birds of a feather...."

Unknown said...

See, that post was positive, touching, and not boring.

You're a wordsmith :)

-Jen