Sunday, May 16, 2010

Games People Play

It is truly amazing the quality of inquiries I have gotten for my home in Pinson. My calls generally consist of people who understand the basics of communication. And, as Carolsue observed, for the most part, they can talk using words with multiple syllables. This is such a far cry from the calls I got when I advertised my home in Leeds.

It almost makes me think I might have a few potential tenants to choose from. Oh... do I dare to dream? I can guarantee the one who will get my home will be the person who causes me the least amount of grief.

I already know Tina won't be renting from me. Now, I understand Tina doesn't read my blog. Because if she did, she certainly wouldn't have approached me in such a way that ensured we would get off on the wrong foot.

Tina's first strike is that of the multitudes of those calling, Tina is the only one who leaves a terse message, letting me know she has no desire to make a good impression with the landlord.

Next, when I have returned her calls, I am always greeted with voicemail. Dutifully, I would leave a message. Tina would turn around and return the call via voice mail not three seconds later--every time, thus requiring me to call her again.

I got the distinct impression she was screening her calls. Was Tina hiding from creditors? I don't know. I don't want to find out. But, I am guessing this is a preview of what I could look forward to if I picked her to live in my home.

After I played this game for two days, with my last voice mail to her saying, "There is an open house on Sunday from 1 to 3. Show up then."

Since that time, she called and not left her name, as if I wouldn't 1) recognize her phone number and 2) recognize her voice. And now, she has resorted to sending me texts. Her latest was to ask for the zip code for Pinson because she wanted to map out the house. The town of Pinson has one zip code. And, if she can use a computer proficiently enough to use Mapquest, she can figure out the zip code without calling sixteen times a day. She has the address.

But, I don't think the text really had anything to do with the zip code. I think she wanted to see if I would communicate back. I am getting the impression, based on her voice messages and behaviors, she likes the attention. And, she likes it on her terms.

I almost wanted to call her just to say don't bother coming to the open house. She hasn't passed my initial screening. Game playing isn't high on my list of things I like to do with tenants. If she is this much of a headache now, I can only imagine what I would be in for if I approved her.

No comments: