Monday, September 28, 2009

Validation

In the event you don't remember the delightful Mr. 114, he lives next door to one of my rental properties. A long, long time ago, he and I became acquainted, as he likes to know who to complain to when my tenant throws wild parties and doesn't invite him.

Mr. 114 is one of those super-meticulous types who tends to like others to be super-meticulous. His yard, home and car fit this bill. Trusted, the former tenant who first lived next door to Mr. 114, once told me Mr. 114 asked Trusted in a pleasant, friendly way, to please move his trash can to the other side of his garage, so Mr. 114 wouldn't have to look at it when he first walks out of his garage.

Currently, Mr. 114 mows Ms. Shirley's (my current tenant) yard because (as the story goes) he does it better than her former gardener. He has also started his own lawn maintenance and handyman service. I was thrilled when he told me this, as I am always keeping my eyes open for someone who can handle these types of tasks.

Last week the largest flood to hit the South in a long time, did not spare one of my homes. The basement is now flooded and in serious need of help. Lots of it. Mr. 114 has already gone over there and sent me a quick note, telling me a more meticulous accounting of the repairs is on the way. Was I interested in the quick and cheap fix, or the more expensive long-term fix? The difference sounded like a few hundred dollars for it to be done right.

I instinctively picked the long-term fix, idly wondering what Mr. Partner would have chosen under the circumstances. Mr. 114 then wrote me the following e-mail.

That's one thing I really like about you..... you like fixing things the right way. I hate half assing things but in the world we live in right now, that's all people want. I have had 2 people tell me to stop weed eating their yard when I cut it to save a little money, but they don't understand why I have to charge them extra to get it back looking good. They don't understand that its cheaper and easier to do it right the first time then going back and doing it again later!!

1 comment:

Lori said...

these kinds of calls seem easier to make when you're talking about your *own* property (where *you* live) - but with rental property it becomes harder and harder to think of it as your own (even though you own it), as other people take turns treating it poorly and leaving it broken and abused. you start thinking - why should i pay more to do this right?! they deserve the quick and dirty fix! even though it's really yours...