Friday, September 11, 2009

Let's Try This Again

I greatly admire Attorney Jon. I found him several years ago on a lark. Everyone he has ever recommended to me has turned out to be gold. He is surrounded by good people. And he is a fantastic man himself. And, he is connected to the investor community in Birmingham, which has been a tremendous asset.

He doesn't handle evictions, so he gave me Legal Eagle. He recommended Jack--the world's best agent. He gave me John, my mortgage guy. Recently he gave me the name of the Matt, whom I met with during my last trip to Birmingham.

I initially met with Matt because he was an investment banker and he involved with a group of venture capitalists. Jon knew this and thought we should meet. Thank you Jon.

Matt and I left our meeting promising to catch up again when the time is right. At this moment, I don't have any way to promote future growth. I am maintaining. Matt understood this. I, like most people he is currently involved with , are products of the economy.

That was June.

In August, precisely two hours after I fired the property management company, Matt called me to say hello. He said he had run across my number two hours earlier, and thought he would give me a call. He started out by saying, "How are things going? Is there anything you happen to need?"

Matt later told me, he has no idea why he asked me that question. Especially when my answer startled him.

I said, "I need a competent property management company that handles Shelby County, and specifically Calera. Do you know one?"

It turns out Matt does know one. And, he hooked me up with Kirby. Kirby was part of the venture capitalists. He had recently started his own property management company and he is looking for quality homes and quality landlords.

Before Matt and I even spoke two weeks ago, Kirby had heard about me. Matt had told him what I was doing and that we should meet and see if we could do business. Except, I don't think property management was what he had in mind.

When Kirby and I talked last week, I told him what I expected. Specifically: don't leave a tenant in a house once they are supposed to be moved out. Advertise a home for rent and do your darnedest to rent out the place. Essentially, don't make me fire you. And don't make me call Matt and Attorney Jon.

This week, I sent Kirby a new owner agreement and a key to Mrs. Waterford's former (I hope) home. I added a few things he wasn't expecting in the owner agreement. For example, I added I will fire him if the home stays vacant for 45 days without any signs of advertising. I added my standard clause about not taking anyone who has been arrested for sex crimes or substance abuse. And I will not take anyone who has ever been evicted. Ever. I didn't add a clause about obnoxious pastors with their own utube following. I will evaluate that on a case-by-case basis.

Our first quest is seeing if Mrs. Waterford left. Our second quest is cleaning up the place and renting it as soon as humanly possible. Hopefully this time it will work out.

1 comment:

Lori said...

knock wood, sounds like a good start! :^)