Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Diamond Jim

Many, many years ago, I hired Erin the Unscrupulous Bookkeeper. Two months into our one month business relationship, she had given me three things: a migraine headache, the name of the best CPA this side of the Rockies and enough evidence against her that the Arizona Attorney General's Office had no problem seeing my point of view when it became ugly.

I don't miss Erin or the migraine. I got my money back and now have the ever-so-terrific Bliz handling my books (as long as she will put up with me). I also still have Diamond Jim, my CPA.

Diamond Jim has been handling my taxes and that of our business since the day I met him. My only complaint is last year he and his wife moved to nowhere Oregon to semi-retire. However, his client base rebelled and he opted to spend tax season away from Mrs. Diamond and down here with us Phoenicians instead. It was probably for the best, I don't think Diamond Jim's wife was ready to have all of Jim's clients camping on their front yard waiting for their 1040s to be filled out. And, I don't think Jim's clientele were ready to part to part with him either.

Part of what I don't like about tax season is running interference between Mr. Partner and Diamond Jim--knowing that Jim works much better when he is not getting 2,000 calls a day from Mr. Partner asking for his forms.

This year, like every year, Mr. Partner started asking questions about when he could expect his tax documents from Diamond Jim. Of course, this is a natural question, given Uncle Sam has some pretty tight deadlines coming up. I did what I do every year when faced with this issue, I took Mr. Partner's question and shot it over to Diamond Jim. Jim in turn, gave me an answer. I, in turn, told Mr. Partner Jim's answer but added an extra week. This was credibility insurance. I sometimes find it is better to extend Mr. Partner's expectations.

It is probably a good thing I did. Diamond Jim had to leave town last Thursday morning. And, as of last Wednesday morning, he was still working on our complicated taxes. But he did promise it would be done before he got on the plane.

Through the course of last Wednesday, Diamond Jim called asking for all sorts of additional information. I gladly obliged. Meanwhile, I was dodging Mr. Partner's calls and e-mails. Somewhere in there I offered to bring Jim dinner so he could work straight through. I am sure I am not Jim's biggest client, but I know how to take care of my vendors (and in this case, friends).

Thursday morning, before the chickens were up, I hauled myself out of bed and headed over to Diamond Jim's office to grab Mr. Partner's forms, the returns for the State of Arizona, State of Alabama and the Federal Government's. All polished gems.

2 comments:

BusyMommy said...

Whoo Hoo!

Fiona D. said...

Now he has to finish MY taxes.