Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Doubled Over

Before a reasonable hour Monday, Bliz sent me an e-mail telling me one of my rental checks bounced. I said a slew of unrepeatable words, proving once again I am NOT from the South were manners are the forefront of society. In the South, the same sentiment boils down to "bless their hearts."

I am not surprised this check bounced. This tenant has been acting funny for a few weeks. She sends me cryptic notes saying she will call me to "touch base about something" and then doesn't. When her check was late I called her, asking about the missing money. She assured me husband sent it, phrasing her words in such a way to make me wonder if her husband was on his way to the post office right there and then.

Now before we go off the deep end here, let's take a moment to give the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps she didn't subtract properly. Perhaps there is a mistake at the bank. Perhaps she was getting paid and didn't get the money in the account soon enough. Perhaps it was just one of those things. Yes, bounced checks happen. I get that.

But even before I cashed it I had some sort of suspicion. In fact, I told Carolsue a couple of weeks ago to be on the lookout for another termination letter I was sending her way for her to process serve. So, this bounced check may be an accident, but I doubt it.

To me, an inexcusable bounced check is one of the worst kinds of breaches. I am not talking about any of the above disclaimers or the tenant who calls and says "my check bounced. I am sending a new one" (that happens).

I can handle the tenants who don't pay or pay late much better than I can handle the one who sends me a hot check. In the landlord-tenant dynamic, a bounced check is a sucker punch. Everything will be going along fine then BAM, they knock all trust and tolerance out of me. A purposeful bounced check changes the relationship on a dime. Everything from here on out will be a cashier's check. It ruins relationship and any future goodwill. There is no going back.

6 comments:

Ernie said...

Bouncing a check with your landlord is not only stupid and inexcusable - it is futile. Remember, the bank will send the check writer a nice note telling them it bounced BEFORE the landlord knows it's worthless which gives the tenant ample opportunity to call the landlord and alert them to this fact - IF indeed the problem was faulty math or the fact that the tenant was playing the ago old game of get the deposit into the account BEFORE the checks hits the bank. It maybe buys you a week before the eviction process begins whereas had you simply called them and asked for a week's extension, it probably would have been granted with NO eviction process with trust still intact. To quote my favorite philosopher, "Stupid is as stupid does".

Ernie said...

Now, before Fiona publicly chastises me for being far too taunt on this subject, please allow me to explain my position. Of all people, I completely understand that often the gas cut off date coincides exactly with the rent due date. Everyone needs heat (even in Alabama) and hot water. Everyone needs lights and sometimes that cut off date coincides with the rent due date. However, is it the landlords fault that you didn't pay your gas or light bill on time? Why should the landlord have to pay a mortgage payment out of their own pocket so a tenant (a virtual stranger) can enjoy a hot shower or have electricity to watch their favorite TV shows? I have personally had to make a choice between having gas and paying my rent - guess which one won and which one lost? I considered having to heat water on the stove so I can wash my hair penance for not paying my bills on time, regardless of the reason. It might not have been my fault that I lost my job - but it certainly wasn't the fault of my landlord either. Also, it should be said that when I see I can no longer afford the house I am renting - I move. Simple as that. I'm not a perfect renter (Fiona can attest to that) but I try to be as fair and above board as possible. To me having a roof over my head is preferable to having a great credit history with the power company but no where to use the power.

Anonymous said...

For the record, the only reason I sent you that email at that hour was because I was replying to an email you just sent me. How was I supposed to know it wasn't a reasonable hour?? :) Besides, is there ever a reasonable hour to hear that news? ~Bliz

Ernie said...

I'm with Bliz on this one. She has a valid point.

Fiona D. said...

No, there is never a good time. And as far as I am concerned, any time before noon is an unreasonable hour of the morning.

Ernie said...

HERE HERE FIONA! (okay, I'm fickle)