Monday, April 06, 2009

The Ugly Side

I assure you, nobody has ever accurately accused me of being a bleeding heart. It doesn't mean I don't feel sadness when I have to evict someone. I hate it. I really do. And, it isn't just the isn't just the attorney fees I am talking about. I hate the process. I hate the emotional energy spent on this process.

I hate being put in a position where I have to force someone out on the street. What an awful feeling that is. Even if they deserve it. Even if they owe the money. Even if this experience might be the best thing that happened to them because they now have a chance to start over and live within their means. It doesn't stop me from cringing when I think about it.

I think about their children who need a sense of security. How awful that must be to have to pack up and move. Those kids are probably given little explanation or they are told the mean landlord has it out for them. I hate seeing kids uprooted under these situations. Even more, I hate seeing kids have to live with the poor choices their parents have made.

I think about the energy around that family when they are being evicted. It can't be peaceful in that home. It doesn't matter if it is an extended family situation or a single mom. The stress must be terrible. They probably aren't just loosing their home. Most people make it a priority to pay the rent first. There are probably other bills too. There are probably bill collectors calling. The stress must be terrible.

I think about what kind of Karma someone in this situation leaves behind. Wayward's Karma was so bad she threw a bunch of her nasty Karma my direction. Fortunately, Mr. Smith didn't leave me the headache Wayward left me. Instead, Mr. Smith left me on the financial brink. The Good Pastor left me a messy house. And given his belief system, I suspect there will be Someone taking care of him eventually. I don't want these people to leave their bad Karma in my home for the next person to have to deal with. Nor do I want thier Karma following me around.

1 comment:

BusyMommy said...

Truth be told you are not the one who is making their housing decision. They make the decision not to pay or not to move to somewhere they can afford (which in most cases is an option people just don't consider). You have to let people make their own decisions, even if their decisions end with them being forced to move.