Thursday, April 16, 2009

Legal Advice

Yesterday, I got a check from Mrs. Martin for the remainder of her March rent. My first call was to Legal Eagle wanting to know if she had filed with the court just yet. She hadn't.

Let's back up here. Yes, I sent Legal Eagle Mrs. Martin's file more than a week ago. However, in the event I haven't fully explained this, the culture in the South is to take their time with just about everything. And, in all fairness to Legal Eagle, she had been out sick for a couple of days too. (But it doesn't change the slow Southern culture that drives me out of my mind.)

I really didn't want to take Mrs. Martin's money. I would much rather kick her out. I so want her out of my home, and more importantly out of my life. I realize if I accept her rent I will have to go through this same stupidity in a few weeks.

I also realize if I evict her I will have to go without rent for a few months, while either Mrs. Martin 1) hangs out in my home waiting for the sheriff to kick her out or 2) finds another place to live but leaves me a mess to clean up and walls to paint. Neither idea appeals to me.

Legal Eagle offered me her best lawyerly advice, "Honey, a half a loaf of bread is better than no loaf of bread. Take the money and evict her next month."

6 comments:

Ernie said...

I agree with Legal Eagle. Ms. Martin will more than likely not pay April's rent until June so you'll have plenty of opportunity to toss her.

BusyMommy said...

The Ms. Martin's of the world are enough to make you want to yank out all your hair...one....strand...at...a...
time

Ernie said...

I just wanted to say that I have been a paralegal in the "slow south" for nearly 20 years. Legal Eagle not filing your FED timely had NOTHING to do with her being southern or out sick. Actually I've never seen an attorney do the paperwork and go to the courthouse to file anything. That is the job of the paralegal, law clerk, secretary (in some cases). It's a form, you fill it out & give it to the runner to take to the courthouse and file. Simple as that even in the south.

Ernie said...

One more thing, having worked for a national insurance company in their corporate legal department, the absolute slowest attorneys that I had in ALL 50 states AND PR were from the west coast. They charged the most for the least amount of work and their work was not all that stellar nor was it timely. Just because you're from the south does not make you slovenly nor does it make you inept. It's a nationwide epidemic these days. Even in the western states.

Fiona D. said...

You folks in the South DO move slower. It doesn't make you slovenly or inept. I don't hire inept people. Nor did I suggest slow equates to a poor character.

It means you don't have the same appreciation for deadlines, or for that matter, ABOUT ANYTHING time related that the rest of us do. I have yet to meet one one type-A or a high-strung type-B living over there. And this isn't just Alabama it is all over the South!

And you can't say you aren't slow because you guys have nothing to compare it to. It is your culture. Doing business in your culture has taught me about this particular aspect. I don't like it, but I have to live with it.

I stand by my assertion: the South has no concept of real time (and I make no excuses for California).

Oh, Legal Eagle doesn't have a paraEagle right now. I hope she gets one soon..

Ernie said...

Send her my resume. I'm faster than the Alabama paralegals.