Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Just Trying to Stop Another Awkward Facebook Request

Mr. Richards' former home wasn't even painted--much less advertised for rent--when I got a call out of the blue. It was Angie. She wanted to know if I have any homes to rent? I do! And, Mr. Richards' former home might fit the bill.

Angie and I have been talking for about two years. She calls intermediately, asking what I might have available. Oddly enough, up until a few days ago, I did not know how she had originally gotten my number.

Apparently she is somehow related to Mrs. Martin. So, she knows I garnish when I don't get paid. That will save us both the step of testing my limits. And even knowing I don't like not getting paid, she still wants to rent from me.

Angie loved Mr. Richards' former home. Which I found odd, given the state it was in when she saw it. The appliances haven't been delivered. There is a water leak that has reached critical mass and the air conditioner opted to go on strike the day she showed up. Carolsue, with her best Southern hospitality, let her see the mess anyway.

I was about to approve Angie when she committed a faux pas. She included me on one of those "forward this to 20 people and your wish will come true" e-mails.

For all of you Fair Housing purists, it is not illegal to discriminate against someone who sends irritating spam chain letter e-mails. In fact, I would think it would be a public service to stop this type of annoyance before it gets out of hand. Let's face it, is there really any amount of rent worth those types of e-mails?

What blows me away is Angie is in her mid-40s, is a working professional and presumably knows better. Or, I thought she might. At any rate, if I do end up approving her, it looks like we will have to have the "just so we are clear, we are not friends" talk.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

I HATE those kind of e-mails!! UGH! But maybe (just maybe) she accidentally included you. You know when you're typing names and it auto fills? If you don't pay attention sometimes you can send stuff to folks you didn't intend to send stuff to. I once sent a funny (but rather risque) e-mail to my bosses boss because his name was similar to someone elses name in my contact list. He was not amused.