Monday, August 10, 2009

Howie the Hack

Despite the contrary, I don't like conflict. I don't seek it out. I don't want it. But I don't tolerate a ton of crap either. My philosophy is: do your job, communicate or get out of my way. Though I prefer polite communication, there are times I will settle for a loud grunt--as long as the job gets done.

I haven't talked about the humdinger that hit us this summer. It was the cherry on top of a few annoying odds and ends. I had a tenant file Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Last year they filed Chapter 13, which means they were reorganizing and paying back their debt. This year, they said, the hell with everything and stopped paying.

And, because bankruptcy laws are federal, at this moment there isn't anything I can do. They are living there. In my home with the most expensive mortgage. Doing whatever. Worse yet, I can't contact them because lawyers are involved.

Or, at least I thought lawyers were involved. I couldn't use Legal Eagle for this one, as bankruptcy isn't her speciality. So, I got the name of Heinous Howie the Hack, Attorney at Law, from one of my sources.

At first Howie returned calls. All was good. I wasn't going to have to head out to Alabama on July 30 for a creditor meeting to plead with the judge to make these people leave my home. So, I kept my other plans of taking my kids to summer camp in Tucson.

On July 28, Howie called with bad news. My tenants weren't going to leave. On July 29, Marty called Howie and said: call us back. This isn't good. On July 30, I called and said something similar. All the while, under the impression Howie was going to this creditor meeting.

I still haven't heard from Howie. I think there is a more likely chance Mrs. 508 and I are the best of friends than Howie followed through. Which puts us in a real bind. If Howie was going to flake it would have been nice to know this weeks ago. I could have found better legal counsel. I could have gotten someone to go to the creditor meeting. I could have flown out myself.

But, not telling us is a serious breech. And that is too bad for Howie. Because the Alabama BAR doesn't take well to attorneys who let down their clients. And, I really didn't need another project.

1 comment:

Lori said...

gah. my sympathies. :(