Thursday, August 20, 2009

Changes

Months ago through a conversation with Happy Camper, I was able to clarify why I did not want a property management company. Why pay twice for the same BS?

That said, there are some reasons.

For example, I don't do my own books. I did at one time. (And I assure you, Bliz is reading this, shaking her head and muttering under her breath.) Back then, I only had a couple of homes and an Excel spreadsheet. And that still took me three hours on a Sunday. I am still responsible for making sure there is money to pay the bills, but I don't have to handle the tedious debit and credit entries.

I don't do my own taxes. Diamond Jim gets to interpret the IRS code on my behalf. I still have to pay into the system. I still owe, or not owe. But I don't have to spend the hours necessary to make sure I am not audited.

I don't change my own oil. I don't sew my own clothes. But in both cases, I know how.

I have been doing my own property management. I would say this is about 84 percent successful. Ms. Betty's assertion last month that me "of all people" should understand that I don't come first when it comes to her living expenses brought to light something I suspected. I am a person in these people's eyes, not a business. People are supposed to understand. People are supposed to be compassionate.

Last month a tenant told me her purse was stolen and rent was going to be late. This particular tenant has always been on time and hasn't given me a lick of grief. As she explained, "That's why I like dealing with a 'real person' instead of a property management company. You understand." No. I don't. I have bills too.

Weeks ago--before I knew whether Mr. Richards had moved out or not--I decided I was ready to have a property manager. It wasn't a spur of the moment decision. It came from a long-time rumination of what is best. We will spend more money. But hopefully I will have more sanity.

I have found a company I like. I have negotiated the terms that are reasonable. I have asked to pick my own vendors, so I can keep Carolsue and Baseball Guy if they are available. I can keep Legal Eagle, Clay and the best plumber in Birmingham. I can even hire Billy!

Repairs under a certain dollar amount I won't be bothered about. And I can add supplemental addendum to their lease so that nobody can declare bankruptcy on me and the filters have to be changed every month.

The first house that went into property management was the Martin House. Next will be Mrs. Waterford's soon-to-be-former home (she is moving out Friday). Eventually others may find their way there too.

It isn't that I am giving up property management all together, I am just making what I do less cumbersome. Carolsue is still going to be my Everything Super Woman for homes I am taking care of.

Is this the right thing? I don't know yet. The Martin House is still vacant. And if it stays vacant much longer, I might reevaluate my decision. But for now, I am willing to try them out. Mr. Partner isn't going to be excited about Mrs. Waterford's home. But, that was one of the e-mails I sent him last month that he didn't respond to.

I will still manage the majority of my homes, including Ms. Betty's (sigh). If I am satisfied with the job the company is doing, I may look at transitioning some of my other homes over as time goes on. This way I can see if a property management company really is in my best interest. Or, if I really was better doing the way I was doing it.

Ultimately, I want my free time with my company to be consumed with other things. I want to grow our concept. I want to run my company; not manage the day to day fire drills.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

For what it's worth, I applaud your decision. Let someone else take the "why doesn't my stove work" calls at 9 in the evening and the "my roof is leaking calls". Let them worry about plumbers who don't show up and when they do show, they botch the job causing more damage than was there when they arrived. I think it's a great move - you just need to find the perfect management company for your needs.