Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Round Two

I got another application today on Fultondale that is better than Delightful Dawn's, but not as wonderful as I want. I keep thinking, if I wait a bit longer maybe the "right" tenants will come along, show me they are stable, able to fill out an application and dazzle me with their ability to pay.

One item that jumped out at me was that they purposely neglected the last page of my application. How did they think I would miss the fact they completely skipped the page where I asked if they had a foreclosure, bankruptcy and repossession? Did they think I might forget about the fact I ask if they have been arrested for manufacturing illegal substances? And, if I am asking them, wouldn't it make a bit of sense I am going to check it out for myself too?

After talking with the folks, I mentioned I would be running credit and background checks--once they finished filling out the application. About an hour later, the woman called back. She told me about a few indiscretions in her credit past her guy just doesn't know about (which apparently is why there was a blank page). Does he have to find out? She asked.

My answer to her was for them to take the kids to the park that evening and discuss some of the things that might come up in a background check. I didn't want to play 13-year-old-girl games, talking to one, then the other, to get a straight story. I just want to rent out the house.

So, it would be prudent to get everything out in the open. Especially if there is more I am going to find out after the background checks. If there is more, it will sound a lot better coming from her, than from me.

And, just in case you are thinking, why not hold out for the next applicant, I got the following call Monday.

Caller: "Hey. I see y'all got a house to rent in Fultondale?"
Me: "Yes."
Caller: "Is it one level?"
Me: "No, it is a split level home."
Caller: "Do y'all have any other homes for rent?"
Me: "I have one in the Pinson/Trussville area coming up in a week or two."
Caller: "Is that one level?"
Me: "No, that is also split level."
Caller: "That's discrimination! I need a one level house."
Me (stupidly not hanging up): "It is not discrimination to have split level homes."
Caller: "Yes it is. I know my rights."
Me: "Do you want my attorney's number?"

Maybe these other folks are looking better and better.

1 comment:

Lori said...

this made me laugh *so* hard.