Saturday, July 04, 2009

First Impressions

Later today, Carolsue is going to open up my home on Fultondale and let those looking for a place to live peruse the inside. She doesn't answer questions, other than to say "I don't really know, you will need to ask the landlord." Then, if the prospective tenant has an interest in renting, Carolsue will give them an application and direct them to me.

That's it. That's all she is allowed to do. Because she isn't a licensed agent or the property owner, Carolsue isn't allowed to give any information about the home, the area or utilities. Nor can she tell me anyone's skin color, religion (though you might be astonished at the number of people who volunteer this) or national origin. This is Federal Law.

What Carolsue can do is observe and report what she sees. She can tell me if Mr. and Mrs. Delightful scream f-bombs at their children. She can tell me if Mr. Perfect wipes his feet when he walks in. She can (and will) tell me if Miss Wonderful tells Carolsue that I have already given permission for Miss Wonderful to paint the kitchen blood red. And, my all time favorite, Carolsue will tell me which prospective tenants asked if I would consider lowering the rent.

A lot is riding on some basic human interactions. A five minute conversation with Carolsue may make all the difference in where they end up living. Because, the first impression they make with Carolsue is going to affect their future with me.

No comments: