Wednesday, July 15, 2009

One Down

I waited an extra week, and I could not find anyone else who wanted to rent out my house in Fultondale. Heaven knows I tried.

The ones I picked do meet all my requirements. They are gainfully employed. They meet my income criteria and then some. Rent on this house won't be a financial stretch for them. They are polite, well spoken. Their background check came out fine. Their credit report was what I expected. And, they haven't annoyed me with useless phone calls with a sense of entitlement.

About a year ago, I went through this exact scenario with another round of tenants. I didn't want them, but I took them anyway. Those folks worked out ok. They still rent from me. They pay and don't cause me any grief. There was nothing wrong with those folks either. I just didn't want them.

Marty pointed out that I am a bit burned out right now. There are many things happening in the background that I haven't documented that are clouding my judgement. "You aren't going to like anyone." he said. At this point, he may be right.

When I called to approve these people, I gave them a list of what I won't tolerate. Essentially, my list boiled down to: do not give me a reason to call you. Ever.

I explained I never wanted a call saying rent and the electric bill were due on the same day and what should they choose. Don't tell me your wallet was stolen. Don't tell me to hold the check for two days. And, don't sent me a post-dated check, a check with the wrong date or a check without a signature. I will cash it anyway. And, your check better not bounce--please see the clause in my lease about bounced checks.

I explained the neighbors have my phone number. And, if someone drives by the house and tells me there is a kangaroo living in the back yard, or a second chimney jutting out of the roof, or a three-car garage added to the property without my approval, all bets are off. I won't forgive. And, to drive the point home, I let them know I work with an attorney in Birmingham who specializes in wage garnishment. So, don't annoy me.

6 comments:

Ernie said...

Wow! Someone needs a cup of herbal tea and a yoga mat right about now. (a shot of Southern Comfort with a Valium chaser wouldn't hurt either)

Fiona D. said...

Well... bless your heart.

BusyMommy said...

Deep breath....sometimes if it sounds good it is good.

Unknown said...

If you really told them half that stuff they've gotta be thinking, "Whoa, what'd we ever do to her?!?"

Heres hoping they're good quiet tenants.

-J

Fiona D. said...

Yes, I did tell them that--except it wasn't a kangaroo we were discussing. It was a rotweiler. (And they still can't have it.)

I prefer to give the impression I am not a pushover.

Ernie said...

They should be fine. She apparently is a big Godfather (the movie) fan because she asked me if I was Italian (go figure) and then when Baseball Guy came out, her eyes got wide and she said he looked intimidating. I smiled and told her that helps us when we are doing your evictions. People shouldn't watch so much TV. Talk about profiling. However, Baseball Guy does look intimidating and for a very good reason. He's my pit bull dog and loves every second. What's a mother to do????