Friday, July 10, 2009

Now, Where Were We?

Ah yes! The 508 house...

Finn, the ultra-professional tightwad insurance adjuster doesn't deem the damage to be as high as the estimate I have received to fix the place up. Instead, he is offering me about one-third of the cost to fix it up.

And, because he isn't a complete ass, he is doing it in a very nice, polite way. Never has he suggested I manufactured the damage. Nor has he been anything but respectful--as in respectfully disagreeing he should honor this claim the way I want him to.

Actually, he is probably correct, though I loathe to admit it. The damage isn't as bad as first thought. The 508s did leave it a disaster, but there is little structural issues. Most of the damage is from slobs with domestic violence issues. Sadly, the slob factor isn't covered under my policy.

Insurance will cover the broken doors, windows and walls. They won't cover the bug bombs Carolsue used to mitigate the infestation of fleas, the debris removal--all now flea covered (the 508s left their furniture and much of their personal possessions behind) or any way to seal the floor from the dog urine smell. Those are my issues.

My other issues include the five-foot grass covering the half acre lot. I asked Billy (who lives next door to Mrs. Martin's former home) to go over and give me a quote. He said he would go that night. "No Billy. Do not head over there after dark, I cautioned." I didn't want to spell out why, but hopefully he figured it out.

Additionally, the air conditioner is still an unknown factor. Clay has been assigned to head over and check it out, but he can't do that until there is electricity at the house. There won't be electricity at the house until I am ready to have the work done. I won't be ready to have the work done until Carolsue is complete with my two other properties. And, I hear another one of her clients needs her too. So, it looks like it will be a week or two.

As a bright spot to this whole nonsense, Carolsue--bless her--has already started a campaign to find a new renter. She may have done so! A nice family that lives behind has other family members who may need a place to live. So, with any luck, this place won't be vacant too long.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

This is the thing about Finn. When you look as good as he does, your teeth are as perfect and white as his are, and your hair and blue eyes are a direct gift from God as his are, you don't have to be an asshole to get what you want. He could shoot my dog in front of me and I would thank him (and you know how I love my dogs). Wow. Now I need to go get some iced tea and turn up the air. It's suddenly gotten awfully warm in here. Let me check that thermostat......