Monday, October 12, 2009

Mrs. Sherwood

Mrs. Sherwood has been renting from me for about two years. I have spoken to her over the phone about six times in those 24 months. Once she called to tell me rent would be late. It arrived one day after the due day.

I spoke with her once about a hot water heater crisis. Sadly, it decided to die on a Saturday morning (can you relate Happy Camper?). No matter, the best plumber in Birmingham was on it.

I also spoke with her twice about about her stove. She called the first time to say the oven didn't work. She called back later telling me she reconsidered and to belay her request. Otherwise, her husband would expect her to cook and her children would require her to host the holiday meals. So, no oven. Please.

Last Friday Mrs. Sherwood called to tell me she lost her job and her husband's hours just got cut back. She wasn't asking for anything special, she was just telling me they would be able to make this month's rent, but after that, it looked like she would be moving out. And anyway, thanks for everything.

Here are the realities of the situation. Mrs. Sherwood's home is 45 years old. The carpet is 45 years old. When I was in the house two years ago, it looked like it hadn't been painted in 45 years. The appliances are probably original or close to it. The fixtures are probably about the same. The stove doesn't work. It is close to the holidays.

There are people like Mr. and Mrs. Betty, who would call under these circumstances and say, "What are we to do? This isn't our fault!" Mrs. Sherwood was just doing the honorable thing: giving notice.

There is such a difference between the tenant who is just giving the facts: "I can't honor my lease" and those who ask me to solve their problems: "What should we do?" When I was faced with this last month, I told the Bettys to move. I would rather gamble on a long-term tenant with a good history, than someone unwilling to be accountable for their own lives.

When I talked with Mrs. Sherwood on Friday, I asked her to wait on this a few days and let's talk Monday (call number six). She agreed. Me? I was hoping for a miracle and I needed to talk to Mr. Partner and Marty Sunshine about our options. Both were amieable to helping her out a couple of months.

This really isn't a matter of generosity. This is a complete business decision. We have a house that would be sitting vacant probably over the holidays. It would need a stove at the very least. But, more likely, it would need flooring and a coat of paint. With the Waterford home and the Leeds home already vacant, it wouldn't suit us to have to carry this too (though I expect both will be rented before Mrs. Sherwood moved out).

Mrs. Sherwood has been a fantastic tenant. She pays promptly. She doesn't want a close personal friendship. I never hear from her. When I am in Birmingham, I drive by her home, and it is always looks kept up. I know Mrs. Sherwood is looking for employment. What she is offering to pay until she has a job will cover the mortgage payment, so we aren't taking a loss.

The worst case scenario with this is Mrs. Sherwood is babysitting our asset for a few months over the holidays at a reduction in rent and then we part company in January. The best case scenario is she gets over this hurdle and stays for another two years--and I still don't have to buy an oven.

3 comments:

Ernie said...

Hate to hear this about the Sherwoods! People like that will find other jobs and get back on their feet. They realize that it may not be their dream job (unlike being a CSI investigator like Ms. Betty was holding out to be - albeit without holding any of the qualifications) but they will take any job in order to pay their bills. I like folks like them!

H.C. said...

i identify!! although the last 3 things have happened on friday afternoons around 4:30... end-of-business friday is the new saturday.

your call on ms. sherwood sounds like a very good one. i hope things swing both your ways!

Fiona D. said...

Oooohh.... I had forgotten about Ms. Betty's lifelong dream to work in criminal justice.

Bless her heart.