Monday, October 26, 2009

Hope Spings Etenal

Sunday morning my phone rang. "You still got that house in Leeds I seen in the paper?" The caller asked. Of course. As the ad was running THAT Sunday, what are the odds I still have that house in Leeds for rent?

I gave Mr. Caller directions. Sadly, "Ashville" as in "Ashville Road" was too many syllables for this guy. As the conversation was wrapping up, he asked me to hold on while he quieted down what sounded like a pack of dogs.

I heard him say, "Shut up before I put a cap in your hides." Presumably he said this to the animals because then all was quiet. Thankfully I didn't hear any gunshots. Back to me, he asked, "Do I need a deposit?" Yes. Yes you do. And I told him there was a pet deposit as well. "I don't got no pets." He replied.

Not three seconds after I hung up with Mr. Caller, Ms. Spring called. She said all the right things and even talked with a 12th grade vocabulary. However, she was perplexed about why this house was still available after three weeks. "I am looking for someone who is the right fit." I explained, I will take someone with poor credit, but that doesn't mean I will take just anyone. People with good character can have credit issues. People with good credit can have character issues.

As we chatted a bit more, she asked for Carolsue's number just to verify when Carolsue would be showing up today. Talking with Mrs. Spring gave me hope for all humanity, Leeds and a possible tenant. Oh did I mention? Ms. Spring owns a dishwasher!

A few minutes later, I phoned Carolsue, letting her know Ms. Spring was calling. "I talked to her already." Carolsue said. "She wanted to know why the house was still vacant when you will take someone with poor credit. I told her it was the applicant pool you were choosing from."

Apparently Ms. Spring felt better hearing that from a second source. If that doesn't sway her, perhaps Mr. Caller will show up at the same time and that will convince her.

No comments: