Friday, October 02, 2009

Finally

So, Legal Eagle sweetly called me Thursday. "Hi Mr. and Mrs. Green are here to drop off a check for you." A true Southerner and complete professional, what she didn't say was, "Who are Mr. and Mrs. Green and why are they sitting in my office trying to give me money?"

Truthfully, I am pretty sure she was only marginally curious as to why two perfect strangers were there, handing a lawyer money on my behalf. Legal Eagle knows better. Sadly, I doubt anything related to me and my rental homes surprise her anymore.

The reason they were there is quite simple. After months of annoyances and false starts, it turns out my house on Martin is rented!!!! The Greens weren't my first choice, but after letting Fate step in, it appears everyone--especially the Greens--are ecstatic.

Up until Sunday, my first choice was Bonnie. Bonnie and I had been talking about the Martin home for weeks. Finally, she got around to seeing it. However, Bonnie left me a message Sunday saying, "We need to do some negotiating."

You see, the Martin home needs a stove. Bonnie has a stove and was willing to donate her stove (that she was probably bringing either way) for the duration of her lease in exchange for $100 off the rent price. If you do the math, that would be a reduction of $1200 for a year. To allow her access to a stove she already owns.

It isn't that I don't appreciate the offer, as I would prefer not to buy one right now. (the last stove I put in turned into a brawl between Carolsue and Ms. Betty, with the only clear winner being the electrician who billed me for his time, but that is for another post). But, it isn't a good idea--before you have even put in the application--to start a voice mail to any landlord saying, "we need to negotiate."

No we don't. At least not any more.

Monday, Amy sent in her thorough application. She send me pay stubs. We were ready to rock. Monday afternoon I left a message for her telling her to call me so we can get this party started. I e-mailed her Tuesday with a similar message. Wednesday I went on to my applicant #3.

Mr. and Mrs. Green were applicants #3. They sent their application in precisely 20 minutes after I had called Amy saying the house was theirs if they call me back. When I got Mrs. Green's application, I called her, apologizing and explaining her uncanny timing. I explained I had the Leeds house and Mrs. Waterford's former home, if she was interested in either. She wasn't. She said to call her back in a few days if it didn't rent.

Unlike Amy, the Greens don't have pets or young children. In fact, Carolsue told me Wednesday afternoon, at the open house Saturday, she overheard Amy telling Mr. Amy they were planning on using the newly-carpeted downstairs to house the dogs until they could afford some sort of fence for the back yard (I am refusing to fence the yard). Additionally, the Greens wanted to move in right away, instead of November 1st like Amy.

I finally heard from Amy Wednesday afternoon, precisely 20 minutes after I sent over the lease to Mrs. Green. Yes, she wanted the house! She had just been too busy for the past 48 hours to bother to contact me.

Thursday I gave her the sad news. She was out of luck. I did offer her the Leeds house, but I doubt she is interested.

Thursday afternoon, Legal Eagle sent me a note. She said about the Greens, "Very nice people – let’s hope I’m not suing them down the road." Ya. I kinda hope so too.

No comments: