Friday, July 01, 2016

Done

So, today is July 1. 2016 to be exact. And, that happens to mean that our LLC with Mr. Partner is now dissolved. However, it wasn't as simple as the sentence above happens to make it sound.

To summarize... never mind. The last twenty-three days cannot be summarized.

A lot of difficult decisions went into what Marty and I have done. It started easily enough with a visit to an attorney. I had set up the appointment some time in May, and purposely set it for when Marty would be on vacation--which happened to be the first week of June. Our goal at the time was to buy an hour of advice on the direction of our accidental business.

The advice we got was a lot more complicated. It was inevitable and of no shock to anyone. The Accidental Business must shut down. As Mr. Partner had known we were going to see the attorney, he waited in delusional anticipation that Marty and I would come to our senses and agree to go a different direction. But alas. We aren't. And frankly, Mr. Partner wasn't surprised. And if truth be told, in the long run it is best for the Partners and the Sunshines.

All of the early ins and outs came out via lunch a few Sunday's ago. Sadly, Marty was feeling under the weather and asked to beg off. But oh  no! There was no way I was going in alone. I already gave birth. I have done my hard job. So, he came and drooled in the corner sat quietly while I covered everything and gave Mr. and Mrs. Partner the gist of our situation.

Since then, I met with Diamond Jim several times: and may I say, what an incredible friend to stop everything he was doing to help me. He spent a good deal of a few weekends (while I dealt with the sickness Marty gave me, though he didn't come with me to meet Diamond Jim) answering questions, advising me and helping me draft documents that contained a lot of numbers.

Mr. and Mrs. Partner also met me at the attorney's office some time in there to ask any and all questions, which they did. The answers didn't change, but at least it gave all of us a better understanding of the situation.

For the Prexit, I was using a notebook I bought in Louisiana earlier this month. It was full of checklists, notes and to-dos. Most of them were completed prior to the Dissolution Agreement. A few that weren't were added to the Dissolution Agreement.  And mind you, the Dissolution Agreement doesn't end everything. There is also a Transition Plan, which is in place. Sadly the Transition Plan also requires my cooperation.

At first, we wanted to make this happen by the end of July. But as I started rolling, I managed to get Legal Owl to write up new deeds. I had little free time for this, but as any busy person will tell you, the most productive people are the ones with the least time. Getting this done was actually so important to me that I did not watch baseball for an entire week, as I still had my other "real" job to do while taking on this project.

Somewhere last week, I realized everything was in place already to sever the ties. All that needed to be done was write the contract. In that case, why wait a month until the end of July? All we were doing was putting off the inevitable. So, with that said, we changed our date to June 30.

As I write this, I am thinking back to what a week this has been. The above makes this sound like it was a walk in the park with a bunch of meetings. As Bliz can attest, it wasn't. But that is for the next blog.


No comments: