Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Proud, Card-Carrying Member of Techo Dorks Anonymous

Marty Sunshine tells me he is an enterprise-level applications developer. Whatever that means. Just in case you know someone who is hiring for this kind of thing, he's available. To me, he is my lovable computer geek.

It is a good thing I have him, because I can't even install a simple print driver. And, I am not sure what that means either.

My incompetence in all things electronic seems to have few limits. The cell phone I got in December is way too complicated for me. It has a camera (phones have cameras!?) and now I have pictures on there I can't seem to transmit to the computer. I think I need to download a magic wand to activate it.

I only bring this up because it would be darn useful to be able to fax things to Bliz. Or, it would even be more useful if I could scan bills and send them to her. Sadly, something that sounds so simple to you, the casual reader, isn't so for me. I can manually hunt down tenants forever, just don't ask me to tell you about any electronic gadget that has the word "wireless" in it.

It isn't that I am afraid of technology. I just don't understand it. Nor do I really wish to invest six months of my life reading gobbledy gook that essentially boils down to one quick statement: "Marty, why is that thingy over there blinking?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"enterprise-level applications developer" - isn't that a ship on Star Trek or Battlestar Gallatica??? So that would make him the ship HR guy because he develops applications for the Enterprise?? I totally get it. Don't know why you couldn't. Geez, Fiona.

Fiona D. said...

I would have to ask Marty to be sure, but weren't there other ships not named Enterprise?

Marty currently works for a Fortune 10 company that has revenues larger than some countries. I think "enterprise" means humungous in this case.

By the way, according to Marty, "geek" is not a derogatory term. He would know.