Friday, February 13, 2009

Jack

In 2007, Jack, my real estate agent approached us about partnering. This time we knew better.

Before we went any further, Jack and I discussed capital. We talked extensively about expectations. We talked about the kind of business model we wished to use—which is significantly different than what we were doing currently. We gave him our credentials. We got a list of his credentials. He knows my experience. I know his experience. Neither of us are green to the landlord game. Neither of us are green to the business of being in business. This time we knew what we were doing. We drew up some documents and voila! a partnership was formed.

Jack is an exceptional partner. I wish I had more Jacks in my life. So far, we have bought one home. Although this isn’t ideal, this is the best we can do right now. I am certain there will be other homes in our future. Although with Marty’s employment future uncertain, I don’t know when we can change this. Perhaps another home will be in the works once Marty finds a job.

Although I am not crazy about the one home game, this one is ok. First, I have someone locally to manage it if necessary. Second, we bought it for the right price. The property is turning a very slight profit. But, we are ok with that. We all know what we were getting into.

No comments: