Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Loyalties

I don't give a fig about college football. But please! Don't tell Diamond Jim--who follows the Oregon Ducks. And more to the point, please don't tell the gang down South who are rabid University of Alabama fans (or maybe it is Alabama University? You know, I am not quite sure.).

I can pretty accurately predict a typical autumn weekend somewhere in Alabama. Saturday the masses are shouting, "Roll Tide!" Sunday they are saying, "Praise Jesus!" And all is good.

Given that I like keeping my business relationships sane, I have become an Alabama football fan. (You are welcome to read about this terribly awkward moment here).

Last year, when the big college bowl game was between Alabama and Texas, it was a no-brainer who I was to cheer for. This year, when the same bowl game is between Oregon and Auburn University, I wasn't quite sure. And, if truth be told, the root of the Hatfield and McCoys disagreement had everything to do with Alabama and Auburn Universities. Hence, a rivalry was born.

Diamond Jim has been predicting this particular college bowl match-up for months. And next week he gets his wish. But, I wasn't sure what to do. I did know being neutral wasn't really an option. After all, I don't wish to create a major faux pas next time I talked with Attorney Jon or Jack.

So, I asked.

In my e-mail to Jack I said: "I have a quick etiquette question: as an Alabama fan who am I to cheer for in the BCS game? Are we to momentarily set aside our dislike of Auburn? Or, do we want the Ducks to crush them? Where should my loyalty lie?"

Completely putting my mind at ease, Jack replied: "You are now a BIG DUCK FAN!!! Roll Tide."

1 comment:

CarolSue said...

Jack told you right! If you are a University of Alabama fan - under NO circumstances EVER are you to root for Auburn. EVER. I'm not sure but I think they hang folks for that type of treason down here. And since I am a Roll Tide alumni, I should know.