Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jack's Way

Jack and I rent to Harold and Haroldine. Because of life's circumstances, Harold and Haroldine continue to be late. In general, my basic idea is to grouch at tenants who don't pay on time until they play my way or move. That works well when I am 1,700 miles from the house. However, in the case of Jack and I, he has something I don't have: proximity to the home we own.

And, before we go any further, I must tell you: I really respect and admire Jack as a man, business partner and landlord. I like the fact he wants to work things through with people. I like like the fact he has reminded me through thought, word and deed the reason landlords exist: to help people. I have gravitated away from this ideal and Jack has been kind enough to steer me back on track.

So, Friday when I found out Haroldine hadn't sent the rent, I called her. I knew where Jack stood--work something out if need be. And, that is much easier when Haroldine acts the part. In this case, she did what puts her in a higher echelon from Ms. Kathy or Ms. Shirley--she answered her phone and was accountable.

As we discussed, I asked her what needed to happen? Obviously rent wasn't getting in on time and it was doing neither of us any good. What can be done to fix this?

It turns out, the real issue is the due date. She wondered if it could be changed to better accommodate their paychecks. An easy fix that makes my life so much simpler. One that doesn't require drama, instead is based on communication and cooperation--both of which Haroldine is willing to offer.

We left our conversation open ended. I gave Haroldine some homework: find me a date that works. Provide it to me next week. I can work with a new due date. I can't work with uncertainty.

No comments: