Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Approved

After I wrote my post for Tuesday (it was written Monday afternoon), I got a call from Kendra. She is the grandmother who had recently gotten custody of her five grandchildren. This time she was surprisingly calm and articulate. She called to say Kirby had just shown her the home in Leeds. And, by the way, thank you, for taking enough of a chance on her to actually be willing to think about renting to a family with five kids. Before me, she hadn't managed to find a landlord who would even talk to her.

She understood she wasn't approved, but if she were approved, she would make sure her five grandchildren would not be trashing my lovely home. Because, as far as she was concerned, she was going to live there forever--if indeed I approved her. Which she understood I hadn't. But hopefully her grandchildren would have a home for Christmas.

And, if that weren't enough to make me change my mind, I got an e-mail from Kirby later Monday night. Kirby tells me Kendra and Mr. Kendra's daughter is in jail. She and Mr. Kendra packed up and moved to Alabama last week to gain custody of these children so they wouldn't end up in foster care.

Mrs. Kendra is a cancer survivor on disability. She is about to get child support for all five kids (ages ranging from youn'un to medium-sized). Mr. Kendra also has a job. So, income is no problem.

Kirby told me his first impression was that all five kids were all well behaved and Kendra has them in line. Kendra also told him she has no intention of moving again. Ever. As far as Kirby was concerned, he felt these were the best renters that had come along for my Leeds home.

It appears Santa will be able to find these five kids this year after all.

5 comments:

CarolSue said...

Awesome news!! 5 kids should give the heathens across the street a run for their money!

Fiona D. said...

Or... the Heathen gang across the street just expanded five-fold.

CarolSue said...

LOL! Look at it this way. The idiots across the street have a grown daughter who stays in prison more than out and they are raising her kids (well, half raising) and this couple has a grown daughter with kids who is in prison. They can get together for BBQ's and compare. Maybe start a support group for folks like them? They could call it the society for Illiterate Inbred Country bigots of Leeds or IICBL

Fiona D. said...

Please be advised: the opinions expressed by the folks on this blog are not always the view of the writer.

Oh... Bless your heart Carolsue.

Kendra is perfectly lovely when she isn't frantically looking for a home. In fact, had she called me in perfectly lovely mode the first time, I wouldn't have gotten three blog posts out of her.

Furthermore, Kendra CAN read, write and I would like to think she has an open mind and heart.

I expect her to class up the neighborhood. And hopefully she will be a positive influence on those around her.

At last! There is hope for Leeds.

Unknown said...

Yay!

I hope she is as lovely as she seems, but also has a mean streak wide enough to deal with her neighbors. It might be quite a shock for her in Leeds depending where she just moved from.