Tuesday, December 14, 2010

She Called Back

I got a frantic call on Monday from the woman with five grandkids who didn't leave her number on Sunday. Interestingly, she had heard of me--but not through the ads in the paper or Craig's List. Someone (a former tenant is my guess) referred her to me. I find this strange, as the former tenants I have on that side of Birmingham aren't people who I would be speaking that highly of. So, my first assumption is she doesn't keep good company.

This woman immediately started in on her desperate plight: she just got emergency custody of her five grandchildren. She doesn't have all the money necessary to move. But, will I help her? All she wants is for her grandchildren to have a place to call home for Christmas.

Before she could incriminate herself further, I stopped her and told her to call Kirby.

Oh yes! This is why I have Kirby! I don't have to be the cold-hearted one who will say, "No! I will not allow you to move into my home a week before Christmas when you have no money to do so--and perhaps with a ton more baggage I don't need drug into my life."

(And I know if I listned to her story I would probably cave. I would be instantly sorry, but you, Dear Readers, would benefit greatly from some excellent blog fodder later. But I digress...).

Instead, Kirby can listen politely to her story, relay it to me with a positive spin on her situation. I can then make an educated decision, whereby Kirby can tell her what a cold-hearted heathen I really am. Or, perhaps there is some upside to this and he can tell her I approved her.

No comments: