Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Waterford Renters

So, Kirby sent me an e-mail Tuesday. It turns out the folks at the Waterford home are a bit unhappy with me. Little did I know. Apparently I haven't paid the home owner's dues and they can't use the pool. I haven't gotten any home owner's dues. Nobody has sent me a bill. Ever.

So, I probably owe a few bucks after all these years. Granted, I knew there was a home owner's association, but I figured they were in no hurry to see their money and I wasn't in much of a hurry to part with mine.

This particular incident, which can be easily resolved by the way, has become the poster child for all that is wrong in their lives. And, they want to move on.

They told Kirby they want out of their lease because they can't use the pool? What? For another week until the dues are paid?

Actually, I suspect they want out of the lease because of a myriad of other life issues that have nothing to do with the pool. For example, they told Kirby, they have a new child and money is tight.

They can buy a home right now for less than they are paying in rent. And, incidentally, they also mentioned to Kirby this little nugget. Kirby took it in stride. I translated: they are in the process of buying or have bought a home and are moving on.

So, what to do: let them stay in their lease until November and deal with the vacant home then? Or, let them out because they are probably going to leave anyway? You can guess which way I am going with this. I learned long ago, when people start making noises about moving, they are going to move. Generally the landlord is the last to know, so they have probably gotten pretty far in this process.

As usual, the basic caveats exist: they have to pay until I find someone equally as charming as these people to move in. Hopefully it won't take too long. I am also willing to look at selling this house. Maybe even to these folks, if they haven't found a place just yet.

And yes, I will even pay the late HOA fees.

2 comments:

Ernie said...

Did you market the house with amenities? Did Kirby market it thusly? Does your lease include language relating to the pool? If not, then they are just stuck. I wouldn't let them out of their lease! I hate a liar and a coward (both are the same). If they aren't mature enough or decent enough to come forward and say that they are buying a house and would like to be let out of their lease because of that, then let them be confined to the terms of their contract. I know you well enough to know that had they been honest with you, you would have worked with them. However, why they can't do as normal folks do and not buy until the end of their lease is beyond me.

Fiona D. said...

Honestly, I knew there was an HOA, but nobody ever bothered to send me a bill and I didn't really think about it either.

I suspect they will find a neighbor on the street who will let them into the pool, so I doubt they are really all that heart broken over the pool.

I am guessing whatever might be broken in their life has nothing to do with my home and thier lease, even if they decide to point a finger my direction.