Thursday, June 10, 2010

She Paid Again

Kirby The Property Manager is one of those laid back Southern men. He makes makes Jello look rigid.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ever called me up, telling me how a meteor shot through the atmosphere and crash landed solidly into the laundry room, landing squarely inside the gas hot water heater, causing a chain reaction explosion, taking out an entire neighborhood. He would then say there was no cause for concern because it happened yesterday and the fire is out. Oh, here's the bill for the damages.

In all fairness, the reason why I have a property manager is so I can hear about the drama after it is over. Of course, I am still responsible for cutting the checks. There really isn't any getting around that.

Last Wednesday I called Kirby. I told him I was interested in him helping me find a tenant for the home in Pinson. I also asked him what was going on with the tenant who mysteriously left our home in Calera, and yet still pays.

On Monday, I hadn't heard from him, so I called again. With the home in Pinson rented to Mr. Noble, I only asked this time about what was happening in Calera.

Tuesday I e-mailed him.

Wednesday I finally talked to Kirby. He had driven 40 miles out of his way over the weekend to check out my home in Pinson. It was cute. And he thought I could get about what I did rent the home out for. He would be happy to help me out. His voice fell ever-so-slightly when I told him I rented it out on Friday, but took it well.

Then we started talking about Calera. He got the missing tenant's rent. We asked each other, now what? I like this about Kirby. It might be his responsibility, but he is always open to my input.

Technically, there isn't much we can do if the tenant is in a lease. With the exception of the yard being overgrown (or it would be if the neighbor didn't keep mowing it), there wasn't much we could hold her to. After some discussion, we decided to play our hand. Our concern was if we told her we knew she left, she might stop paying--though she has a nice government job and I am always happy to lob an easy garnishment to Legal Eagle.

We did decide to tell her we know she left. Kirby is going to wait until her check clears. Then, he is going to offer to let her out of the lease if she cleans up the house. She is responsible for the rent until we find another renter (already have two potential people interested). If she follows our rules we will refund her security deposit, less the cost of the carpet cleaning and and meteorite repair.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, your security deposit is large enough to cover the cost of an entire neighborhood exploding? No wonder some of your potential clients try to negotiate you down on that point ;-).