Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Really Wish They Woudn't Cry

Tuesday afternoon, Candy called me. She told me she sent me an e-mail as well. She wanted to let me know she was giving their 30 day notice. Then she started crying and said a lot of very sweet, personal things that made me wonder whom she was speaking about. Because, I was unaware we were anywhere near as close friends as she thought we were.

When I asked her why they were leaving she gave me the no-brainer answer: money. And, just to be charitable, I did offer to have them come up with a dollar figure that would keep them living there and get back to me. I have some wiggle room on the rent. If they move out, I will be giving this one to Kirby who will charge me 10 percent. So, at the time of her call, I was marginally agreeable to working out a way to keep them.

Truly, I doubt they will give me a rental amount worthwhile of having them stay. I happen to think there is no amount of money that will fix life issues. And, I suspect there are a few life issues going around between Artie and Candy.

In the grand scheme of things, I predicted all along they were moving after the lease was over anyway. And, I am not exactly sorry to see them go. They were decent renters in the sense the place was well cared for and rent always came in. However, it always came in late.

When I rented to them last year, I was feeling a bit desperate. What they had going for them was Artie is an ex-Marine. I was pretty sure that meant I wouldn't have to worry about a trashed home or him skipping out. I was right. They are the kind of folks I wouldn't mind living next door to me. But, I have never been sure I really wanted to do business with them.

As much as I think Candy is a pleasant person, I don't trust her. When she first applied for the home, she asked me to keep her past credit secrets from Artie. I wouldn't agree to that--not that it became an issue, as those secrets did not come into play when it came time to make a decision. She called me another time a few months later--completely out of the blue--giving me a sob story and asking for love life advice. At that point, I decided to deal solely with Artie, who did not call me for love life advice, never asked me to keep secrets and never once cried into the phone.

Since our talk, I have decided I am just as happy with them moving on as I am with them coming up with a magic rental amount to keep them living in my home. My feeling is, from the snippets I have gleamed from Candy over the last few months, their relationship is not stable. At least in Candy's eyes.

I realize Artie, Candy and I can go on in this fashion, with them renting longer. Financially, it makes better sense than asking them to leave. I don't have a vacant home. I don't have the hassle of finding a tenant and paying a property manager. I know what to expect: a clean home, late rent (with late fees) and a random call from Candy every now and then asking for my opinion about something way too personal.

But, I am not sure it is in their best interests to stay in my home. I got the impression from Candy's last set of tears, they are together only because they have the lease. So, if they stay and then decide the whole relationship isn't working anyway, I will be lending Candy my virtual shoulder all over again.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

I knew that relationship was headed to the dogs. Candy is a player and I knew there was going to come a day when Artie decided enough was enough. It's like marrying a St. Bernard (Artie) to a Jack Russell Terrier (Candy). Either you pen them up separately or one day you will come home to find the St. Bernard has swallowed the terrier. They were not a good match. Sorry you will have a vacant house, but Kirby will get someone super in there in no time! You were very blessed to have discovered him and his group!