Monday, June 28, 2010

It Isn't Just In Alabama

So... last Thursday, I got a call from Rosie on my Arizona phone. Rosie sweetly tells me got my name from Peter, who is best friends with my sister.

At this point, I cut off poor Rosie to tell her I don't have a sister and perhaps she had the wrong number. Nope. She then amended her story to say she wasn't exactly sure about the Peter and sister part, but that was ok. It really was me she wanted to talk to.

What she wanted was for me to find her a rental home in North Phoenix this weekend. She was desperate and needed to move immediately. Her preferred location was Surprise, AZ. Which, I just googled, is approximately an hour from my house--without traffic.

Before I could determine whether I wanted to drive an hour this weekend, Rosie hit me with: "Just so you know, my boyfriend and I are both felons. Will this be a problem renting?"

"Maybe not. Is this a DUI?" I asked. Because that was about the only felony I could think of that a landlord might find acceptable. What are the other choices: drugs, theft, bodily harm, property damage? There are probably others, but they don't sound any better.

"Well, no. But we have good rental history. We can provide references," she said.

Rosie seemed delightful on the phone, but this isn't going to be an easy task. And no, I am not passing judgement about her past mistakes. It is a fact. Landlords don't want anything that might spell trouble. I know, as a landlord, I would pass on her. Not just because of her and the boyfriend, but any associations she might have who would come to visit her. Essentially: Rosie has baggage.

As an agent, I passed as well. I don't see me arranging for child care, driving an hour in 110 degree weather to traipse through a bunch of homes in the event some landlord isn't doing a background check.

Best of luck to Rosie. She and I weren't a good match.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

Desperate to move? Convicted felons? Got your number from some fictitious person? Wants you to meet them in a remote area? (I don't know if that town is remote or not, I just threw that in for effect). Sounds like a slasher flick in the making. Glad you didn't go!! But seriously, they might have been convicted of racketeering or witness tampering or some other mundane felony. OR (I got it!!) they were convicted of identity fraud which would explain their perfect rental history!!! What would you do without me to figure this stuff out??? Hmm?