Friday, June 04, 2010

Borrowed Time

Ms. Shirley called me today. It was either the best snow job I've gotten in a while, or she was really freaked out. She had part of the money, but would I pretty please not evict her. She said she is calling in a few favors and promised to have the money by Monday.

Incidentally, Marty talked to her yesterday. Neither he, nor I, said anything about eviction. She took that upon herself. Maybe she has a hidden camera in my office, because I had just finished writing up the termination notice to send to Red, the process server when she called. Her timing was that good.

Ms. Shirley didn't offer me $700 to call it even. What she did say was she was totally stressed out about this. She understood business is business and she was well aware I needed her rent days ago. Her voice cracked, but she didn't cry.

Thank you Ms. Shirley.

I can't decide if she should be up for a best actress nod from the Academy next year, or this is the first time I have had a rent lost in the mail. But it didn't really matter. Here's a little secret I didn't tell Ms. Shirley. I am out of town today through Sunday. I wasn't going to do anything until Monday anyway.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

Just maybe this really is the first time a check has legitimately been lost in the mail to you? I had a check that went to a neighbors house once because the mailman got in a hurry (I think). One day MONTHS after I had gotten the check replaced, my neighbor saw me in the yard and walked over to give me mail that had come to her house rather than mine. Yep, the check was in her hand. It's not inconceivable to think that our "efficient" postal workers stuck your check in the wrong box. Just this once?