Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Blessings

We have been very fortunate. Attribute it to The Almighty, positive energy, great Karma or just dumb luck. I don't care. I will take all of it.

Tell me where you get a 5-story tree cut down for $1,800? Yes, I am still marveling at this.

Tell me, how does it happen that the woman next door to my home on Hysteria Lane was able to hunt me down and get my phone number? Seriously. I am not even on the mortgage or the title. Yet, with a significant amount of detective work, she found me.

Tell me, how many times have I been protected from stuff that happened if a tenant stayed? Mr. Richards comes to mind. I found out after he moved away that he was a gambler who forgot to pay his debts. He got himself into a huge mess. He may have left me with a dirty home. But I suspect the people looking for him would have done worse.

Mr. C., a Vietnam Vet, apparently was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. From what I heard through the grapevine recently, it had gotten really bad. Though I feel for him (and still have no idea why them moving couldn't warrant a phone call at least the week before they left), I really believe perhaps them leaving saved me more in the long run.

There are other instances too. People with their personal baggage, bad choices and scary friends may have lived in my home once upon a time. The best favor they ever did is leave. I don't like cleaning up the mess they leave behind, but it sure beats the disaster they are taking with them. In every case, I have gotten better tenants.

We don't know what we don't know. The second I come up with a magic landlord formula to figure out which potential tenant is the best choice and will work out, I am going to patent it. In many instances the people I picked and thought would be perfect, were the absolute worst choices--such as Ms. Betty, who talked the talk. In other cases, I crossed my fingers and passed the lease over, hoping in the grand scheme of things, Fate knew what he was doing. Those people worked out fine.

The bad tenants I had in the past were from decisions of desperation. None of whom I would have picked now. One of the biggest lessons I have learned as a landlord is not everyone who rents needs to rent my home.

I have a few people who rent from me now whom I would probably be just as happy if they moved on. But, I am ok if they stay. They are making a concerted effort to pay their bills. They don't pepper me with excuses. And so far, it seems, I have been protected from their baggage.

No comments: