Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Just a Day In The LIfe

While I was in Birmingham, Kirby, my property manager handed me my rent checks. I then handed them back to him and asked him to mail them to me. "It would be faster." I said, meaning, I would not be hitting a bank any time soon. Nor did I want to cart that amount of money around with me for a week.

Last week I called Kirby, gently reminding him that I hadn't received my rent checks. "I sent them the day we spoke." That would be March 8 for anyone keeping track. Nonetheless, I hadn't received them.

We agreed if I didn't have them by Monday (yesterday), he would re-issue them. Which would be mighty convenient, as I want to use the money to pay for silly little things like, say, the mortgages.

Monday (yesterday), Kirby shot me an e-mail wanting to know if I moved. You see, the checks were returned to him with a lovely stamp from the Post Office saying, "No one with this name at this address, y'all." Nope. have been at the same place for several years, I told him.

I have no idea what the Post Office was thinking. But then again, does anyone fully comprehend the Post Office's methods?

Kirby has cheerfully re-sent the checks. Generally it takes two or three days for them to arrive from Birmingham to my mailbox. Hopefully the Post Office will graciously allow for them to be delivered this time. Because I am not sure I can explain to the bank or Mr. Partner the check is really in the mail.

No comments: