Friday, March 12, 2010

I'm Back

I'm exhausted.

After four hours sitting around the Birmingham Airport because of weather issues in Florida I was able to board and fly home Thursday. While stranded, I was swapping sandwiches and information with new friends who were in the same situation. "You don't want to go to that store, they charge too much for a pack of gum... but that guy over there with the six kids, if you shared your granola bars I would be willing to bet he would give you one of his bottles of water." And so it went. I saw more people in the tiny airport terminal than I did during the week on my travels--and I saw a lot of people during the week.

It was a good trip. I have a hard time measuring my productivity this time. But, I believe it was productive. Generally when I go, I have a set agenda with concrete goals. I am going to get this notarized, this filled out, meet with this person and discuss this specific thing...

This trip was more of a public relations junket. I could say I really didn't need to go. But, I think I did. What I really wanted was to see who might be moving this summer so I could budget. I wanted to see where I was vulnerable and be able to plan accordingly. I needed to see how the homes were being treated.

I spent Sunday with Carolsue going around from tenant to tenant, making sure they didn't need anything. I pre-picked out five homes to see for Sunday and got around to four of them and added another one at the spur of th moment--but more on that later. During my visit, I asked tenants about air filters and any repairs needed. If the neighbors were treating them well, etc.

Artie and Candy are still together. I thought they might be leaving this summer. Now I don't think so. I am not convinced Mrs. Spring will ever move. Nor Ms. Angie.

Actually, I am convinced Ms. Angie will never move. She has called me for the past four years asking if I had a place to rent. Years ago, she heard about me from at least two of my tenants (whom I didn't know knew each other) and has been calling ever since. She is a proud woman, who is excited to be able to do right by her family. This summer she is hosting her daughter's wedding reception at "her" home. She can now do that because there is a back yard. There are also enough bedrooms for her and her children. Before this, the five of them were were living in a 2 bedroom townhouse for about the same amount of money she pays me.

In one of my most humiliating and incompetent moments, I accidentally stopped in on Ms. Kathy. She wasn't on my meet-and-greet list for this trip. I drove by but forgot she lives in a neighborhood where all roads lead past her home. And, she is kind of on a dead-end street. After driving around and trying to get back to the main road, the neighbors and Ms. Kathy all came out of their homes, rightly suspicious. I really think this was a good sign about the neighborhood--a community that bands together when something unusual happens. Except in this case, they were banding together to out me--the crazy lost driver.

It wouldn't have been such a big deal and I could have just driven away, explaining to the random neighbor I was lost, if Carolsue hadn't been with me. I knew Ms. Kathy would recognize her, so I didn't even pretend. Instead, we stopped and said hello. I felt like a clown. No, a stalker. Seriously, is there any way to lessen credibility as a no-nonsense landlord than to scare one's tenant because a suspicious car keeps obviously driving by?

Monday I stopped in on Ms. Shirley. I also managed to wrangle Mr. 114 into a few jobs for me. He really is one of the nicest people I have met along this wild Alabama journey. He is honest, affordable and does great work.

On my way back from Ms. Shirley's I went by to meet Kirby, my real property manager who handles two of my homes in the Southern end of the Birmingham metro area. He took me to lunch and we discussed landlordy-type things and swapped tenant stories. Incidentally, Kirby thinks Ms. Shirley wants a kick-back from the roofing company.

After a quick car swap (my car rental wasn't acting right), I went by to see Mrs. Sherwood. I adore her. Even if she wanted an oven, I would feel the same way. If she weren't a tenant, I would look for her on Facebook. Except she has a pit bull. That is kind of a problem. We discussed the pit bull and some solutions with me explaining there is a clause in her lease and about my home owner's insurance. The pit has to go.

Jack and Mrs. Jack took me to dinner Monday night.

Tuesday I met with various parities who are working on a criminal investigation my former tenant may or may not be involved in. There is probably a movie-of-the-week plot in here somewhere. The outcome of talking with the lawyers and investigators is that I agreed to testify if it goes to trial next month. When it is over, details will come. Frankly, I wish it were over right now.

Tuesday night Carolsue fixed me dinner. Home cooked food.

Wednesday I met with Legal Eagle to go over the miscellaneous items I had waiting for her. Then we discussed child rearing, theology and all sorts of other girl-friend things that hopefully she won't bill me for.

Wednesday afternoon I went off the clock. I went up to Hoke's Bluff Alabama, which is a suburb of the thriving metropolis of Gadsden. This is like saying Hooterville is a thriving metropolis of Mayberry. But work with me. I met a friend up there. I stayed in a farmhouse built in the 1870s that had wild daffodils growing outside. There were no talks about rental homes or criminal investigations. Just two good friends laughing and listening to music.

Now I am home. I am satisfied I need to plan for one vacant home, possibly two, this summer. Though this trip was intrinsic, it was necessary. It gave me peace.

No comments: