Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bummer

Ms. Angela called me Monday morning. Her job is going away. So is her company's Birmingham office. Ms. Angela told me she is considering taking a position in Atlanta and commuting on the weekends (leaving her older children to watch the younger one). Alabama's unemployment rate is about 12 percent. It wouldn't surprise me if she has to work in Atlanta.

She told me she has enough money coming in with her son's social security to cover the rent and she doesn't want to "loose her home." I believe she means it.

However, she is emotional right now. The realities of unemployment haven't hit. They will and then she might be singing a different tune. The house won't be as important to her as mere survival.

I would like to see this work out for Ms. Angela for several reasons. First and foremost, I like her. She is also a good tenant--and good tenants are worth keeping.

I didn't budget for another vacant home. But now that I know, I can be prepared if necessary. She may not think she is moving, but for my sake, I know that I need to act like this is the beginning of the end. I met Ms. Angela. She is a proud woman who will do right by her family. And I know that means a house will never be more important than her family's stability.

No comments: