Monday, March 23, 2009

The Terrible Twosome

As I am writing this, it is quite possible my three readers will deem me stupid or naive or both. It isn't that they wouldn't be accurate. Those thoughts certainly have gone through my mind.

However, there is a method to my madness. Essentially: it is easier to threaten, cajole and badger than it is to pay for an eviction. Besides, experience tells me everything seems to work out in the long run. Though not always in my favor.

Last Friday I woke up with the same feeling of dread I always get when I have to deal with Mrs. Martin and Mr. Richards. My real feeling is Mr. Richards will be ok. Only if I nag him to the point he pays up. The jury is out on Mrs. Martin.

Mr. Richards was supposed to pay me the latest installment of rent on the 20th (yes, he has paid me since my last posting about him). On Friday I called to confirm it was coming. I still haven't heard back. I called again today and repeated my message, also reiterating if I did not hear from him I would have him served and that would cost him as well. So, call back and tell me you sent it or give me a ton of excuses as to why not. Just call back.

When I call Mr. Richards, I am always very careful to be polite. Even when I am seriously annoyed, I am polite. My feeling is once the gloves are off with this man, the relationship will immediately deteriorate. So, if I keep it cordial, I have a better chance of accomplishing my goal: get rent or get him out. And, I don't really care which one right now.

Mr. Richards hasn't called me back as of yet. For all I know, there is a check waiting in my PO Box. Which is fine. He isn't my most annoying tenant as of today. So, until he hits that point, he can limp along. But the writing is on the wall. And we all know it.

Mrs. Martin is a whole different story. She was caught up (more or less) and then rent came due again. The day rent was due, she sent me an e-mail saying she was sending half of it and the rest at the end of the month. I haven't gotten the first half. If she hadn't purposely told me she was sending money she wasn't intending to send, I would feel much better about her. But, to intentionally mislead me puts her in the same category as Mr. Smith.

I called Mrs. Martin this morning. Someone picked up and immediately the phone disconnected. Hm... I suspect she has caller ID. I called again and left a voice mail for her. As cordial as I am keeping Mr. Richards, I am not paying Mrs. Martin the same courtesy. Mr. Richards didn't lie to me about sending money. Besides, Mrs. Martin is the type who needs her butt kicked.

In my voice mail (which probably will be deleted without her listening to it) I told Mrs. Martin that I was through "working with" her. And, I would appreciate a call back to find out if she was moving out or if she was going to send the money like she said she would. I am sure I won't hear from her. She is getting served. The writing is on the wall for Mrs. Martin too. And, I am ready for that one to end.

1 comment:

BusyMommy said...

It is so beyond me as to how people think they just won't "get caught". I mean, come on!