Monday, March 16, 2009

The PIA Factor

Lately, last week in particular, major home repairs have been the norm. It makes me wonder if I can expect the phone call at 2 a.m. saying the toilet overflowed. Now I would appreciate, before we go any further, if we could just stop for a moment and say a silent prayer that I don't get that phone call. Not that it would matter. It would go to voice mail.

I don't mind home repairs. Especially because I am not being expected to perform them. I can paint a wall or two. But, it is a bit of a stretch to ask me to install a dishwasher. Though I hate to say it, I probably could.

What I find interesting--especially when I talk with people who have thought about dabbling in rental properties--is last week's antics are what freak out potential landlords. I don't always think the panic is about the money they have to put out to fix these things. That, of course, is never fun. But more about the mind set that something is out of their control.

This past week there were a lot of repairs. Usually I have a repair every couple of months. I know it is just part of doing business. Maintenance happens. Just like if it were your own home or car. I would just appreciate if it didn't happen all in one week.

Last week:

Ms. Betty got her white, non-Bosch dishwasher. Except the major retailer I purchased it from won't install the damn thing (give you a hint: the employees wear orange aprons). Mr. Betty volunteered. I am going to let him. After all, if I think I can install it, how hard could it be?

Mrs. Waterford had some problem with the air conditioner that is too long and boring to explain in my patch of cyber space. In girl speak: it stopped working. Her repair took me by a surprise because the home (and air conditioner) wasn't that old. Nevertheless, I was able to call my buddy Clay the AC Guy who came to the rescue. Because I am such a good customer, he cut me a break when I asked him to reduce the price a bit.

The bees are back at Ms. Robin's now home. I haven't heard the overall solution to her dilema yet. I did hear Mr. Robin was stung. Sorry about that. Hopefully I will get some sort of answer of the best course of bee erratication soon.

Getting these repairs done weren't really that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Our rents cover the repairs (though don't leave for much else other than the mortgage payments). I have some expenses (or in the case of the dishwasher, a capital improvements) to deduct from taxes next year. And, because I acted quickly, I have happy tenants.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the bee situation, call the local fire department. They take care of this stuff (or at least they have the number to the state guy who takes care of this stuff), since this is considered to be a public safety hazard.

Anonymous said...

By the way, that's what I heard from a cop. Don't know if it's true or not. Just passing it along.

Fiona D. said...

Thanks. But it is an urban legend, prepetuated by sadistic cops who don't have bees livng in THEIR back yard.

The fire department got a good laugh though.