Friday, March 06, 2009

Stop the Madness

I am not exaggerating when I say Ms. Betty calls, or now e-mails, at least once a week (if I am lucky only once a week). There are a lot of annoying things that happen on a weekly basis. She is the most consistent of the annoying things.

Sometimes she isn't annoying. Sometimes she has legitimate issues. Like needing my address AGAIN today. Or the fact the dishwasher is leaking all over the floor. I can see those items as legit.

In the event you ever think you might want to rent to Ms. Betty, let me give you a snippet of a conversation a couple of months ago:

Ms. Betty: We need to get an electrician out here. The outlet in the bedroom doesn't work.
Me: What's wrong with it?
Ms. B: There is no electricity getting to the lamp.
Me: Have you replaced the bulb in the lamp?
Ms. B: No ma'am. I am sure it is the outlet.
Me: Could you try the bulb anyway just to be sure.
Ms. B: Yes ma'am. Hold on for a moment.
Me: Waiting... Humming to myself and wondering how much money I am spending on cell minutes
Ms. B: (returning to the phone hours later) Well, it looks like it was the bulb after all.

Her e-mail today gave me a chance to let her know that I may not make it to the bank in a timely manner next week, so it might be best to send a money order. She didn't rip my head off for that. Instead she took the liberty to tell me she priced stainless steel high end dishwashers for me. How nice. I was thinking more along the lines of something in the Amana/Kenmore variety. White.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stainless steel ANYTHING in that house would be absolutely garish! That house is a country "cottage" type house and to put anything modern in there would look like crap. Not to mention the fact that to put a stainless steel DW in with a white stove would really mismatch the entire kitchen. Ms. Betty is a real piece of work. Tell her appliance repairman husband to fix the existing one or better yet, tell her to quit putting her laundry in it and only use it for dishes. (I actually had a tenant when I was in property management that called about his DW not working & our repair guy found socks wound around the blades.)

Fiona D. said...

The dishwasher is ancient and we can't find parts. So it isn't getting fixed. They are getting a new one. But hey! At least she isn't threatening to sue me over this. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Not yet anyway. Wait until she can't find matching socks.....just you wait!