Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Fergie Subtext

It isn't that I am self righteous about money. I am just naive. If someone tells me they have to make a decision between a package of pencils or their rent, I take this literally.

It wasn't until very recently I understood what all of my tenants who gave me these kinds of excuses really were saying. These folks didn't want to come out and say, they just didn't have the rent money. But that was the gist.

Now I understand. When they called me with lame excuses, I would make unhelpful suggestions. "Couldn't your kids just use an old pencil or buy one pencil for a quarter from the school's librarian?" I really thought I was being helpful. After all, if they could get this little dilemma resolved, I would have my rent money and all of us would be happy.

If I searched the Internet, I would probably find somewhere a handy guide on how to dodge the landlord when the rent is due. Perhaps there is even a blog such as this one, covering this particular topic.

However, assuming that all of the tenants of the world in Fergie's situation world aren't in cahoots, I think there is a certain amount of predictable human behavior that goes along with being in a situation where you can't pay your rent. Tenants who are short tend to over promise and under deliver. Once they have used that ploy up (because if they follow through, they can use it again), they start avoiding the landlord. I believe the thinking goes like this, if I don't answer the door/phone/telepathic signals, the landlord will just forget all about me. It isn't a character flaw. These tenants just don't feel they have any other recourse.

Most of the ones who struggle are just trying to work their way out of the hole they have dug. Generally they are optimistic--and borderline unrealistic--about their chances. Instead of just cutting their losses, they stay. It is easier to stay and work something out with the landlord than to uproot their family and scrape together new rental and utility deposits.

These particular folks aren't deadbeats in my book until they stop trying and start living in my home for free. The transition happens once the mindset becomes "landlord must be rich and I am going to stay here until the sheriff comes and kicks me out" game. Those folks are the deadbeats.

No comments: